cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passthrough with Unreal Engine 5.1.1. underlay

hugoar
Protege

Hello I try to setup a simple AR project that runs on PC with Oculus Link on a Quest Pro with a passthrough background and 3D objects over it. I have followed the official documentation https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unreal/unreal-passthrough-overview/ and manage to have see a passthrough but it is always on top even if I configure it with "underlay" option.

What I am missing to make it works? What are the important settings to have in mind (for instance I have Enable alpha channel through tonemapper)? Does Forward/defered rendering have an issue on the result? DX11/D12?
Also is it necessary to use the Oculus fork of Unreal or a regular Unreal with MetaXR plugin is ok?

25 REPLIES 25

Alighieri2000
Honored Guest

Also having this issue. Any update would be appreciated! 

hugoar
Protege

I have seen that I have different result when I run it in editor and when I package the project. On a package project the underlay seems to work. Anyway it is really a problem not to have it in editor because right now I have to remove the passthrough and then put it back just before package. Also I would love more control on how it is composited, all the glow bloom on object is cutout, some small particules seems to disappears.

Alighieri2000
Honored Guest

Thank you for the update! Just know there's at least one other person out here trying to create quest link AR experiences in 5.1.1 haha.
I was about to write about my experience, namely that I used to be able to use passthrough in P.I.E. less than a week ago, but that got me thinking about what could've changed across all projects since then.

I've found the culprit on my end, I had my scalability settings set to low. "Effects" MUST be set to at least "Epic" in order for passthrough to work in-editor. Let me know if this works for you!Screenshot 2023-05-11 135346.jpg

hugoar
Protege

that's a great info! Yes Effects scalability change something and now it is working in the editor!
Thank you.

hugoar
Protege

have you tried to use passthrought throught an object, like a window?
I have tried to use PokeAhole material (which is kind of strange, with a lot a nodes not connected, like if it was a working shader) but without success. I seen that I have to change framebuffer's alpha channel but I dont know exactly where to change it.

Hey there - i got a different issue - in the paathrough sample i can ONLY see the PT not the objects - doesnt matter if under or overlay for the passthrough layers ... using a quest pro through ... any idea?

hugoar
Protege

Yes I am using a Quest Pro.

I had an issue like that once. Passthrough need alpha. you have to check that in your project setting.

@hugoar wrote:

Yes I am using a Quest Pro.

I had an issue like that once. Passthrough need alpha. you have to check that in your project setting.

Hey - found that out also ... allow alpha through tonemapper / rendering post processing options... is your performance using passthrough also really bad? Used PT and Spacial Anchors wirh Quest2 already and it was a lot better... any hints to improve?

sunroot.o2
Protege

I'm also trying to do passthrough in PIE mode but the quality of it is too bad.

Could you let me know how to improve it?

I'm doing on UE5.1 with Quest Pro by PIE.

Each time i turn my head, the field of view is re-rendered.