cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 1 vs Quest 2 Performance Profiling (Better perf in Quest 1 then Quest 2)

vaibhavExxar
Honored Guest

Hello All, i was getting some weird results on Quest 1 and Quest 2 while doing performance profiling (UE4.26.2).
Quest 1 is giving better performance than Quest 2!. on the same application build and settings. When i look at a trace in Android Monitor the surface resolution on Quest 1 shows up as 2432x1344 compared to 1440x1584 on Quest 2. Any directions on what could be causing this? If I understand correctly Quest 1 does not have hardware multi-view vs quest 2 which has hardware Multiviewcould this be causing this?

The binning phase seems more or less same on both devices however the rendering of tiles seems to be twice as expensive.
3 REPLIES 3

vaibhavExxar
Honored Guest

Turning off of Multi-View for Quest 2 gave a surface resolution of 2880x1584, still it is not clear why the performance is lower on Quest 2 for same dataset.

CarpetFace
Expert Protege

That is puzzling.  Quest 1 rendering more pixels and doing it faster than Quest 2?  

My initial thought when I hear "Renders faster on Quest 1 than Quest 2" was: "hmm, maybe very expensive pixel shader and somehow Quest 1 eeks out a win simply because of fewer pixels.", but if Quest 1 is rendering more pixels...

Could it be the case that Quest 1 is doing software multi-view (is that a thing? not sure.)  

Are you using a feature that Quest 1 hardware can't do that the Quest 2 hardware can?  Like some sort of decal or reflection or something?  

@different feature no. However i get a resolution of 2880x1584 on Quest 2 with MultiView off, which performs slower thatn Quest 1.

I am not sure why Multi-View off gives a higher resolution. Should it not be the other way round, with Multiview On we should get a higher resolution as both left and right frames are rendered in one go, vs with Off where Left and Right should render sequentially.