cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room scale matching IRL location - How to manage Quest2 orientation?

EnterReality
Protege

Hi all,

I'm creating an app for the Meta Quest2, where a user can walk in and out a room ( L shaped with an open door, nothing fancy ), which has been built based on a real life location, so the virtual environment ( built in Maya using technical drawings of the place ) match the IRL environment.

Now I'm having the following issue and I would like some advices:

While doing the room scale, I tracked both the inside of the room and a little bit outside the room ( in front of the door ) and set the pawn start location outside the room, at a specific distance from the door, so IRL I also have the same distance as the starting point of the pawn....as soon as the app starts, the pawn has a predefined orientation ( always looks towards the door ), while if I start the app and I'm not looking towards the door IRL, I have a misalignement between the virtual and IRL locations.

To temporarily solve this issue I created a 3d printed stand for the Quest2, so that it sit thight there, and I placed the stand in front of the door at a specific distance ( the stand is also placed on top of a pedestal to be able to have the Quest2 at eye level ), so that it matches the distance between IRL and virtual start location.

In order to sort out the orientation, I used one of the buttons on the controller to turn on the visibility of the room scale tracking area ( show/hide Guardian Visibility ), so that while the Quest2 is still on the stand, I can look inside the Quest2 and physically rotate the stand to match the orientation between the Guardian tracking area and the virtual environment, using the Guardian tracking area as a guide.

When the two environment seems to be aligned, I get the Quest2 from the stand and test it by walking inside the room, and with still the Guardian visibility turned on, I check if the two envirnoments aligned properly.

It works, but is not very user friendly, and if the stand is not locked in place after the orientation alignment, the entire calibration is messed up.

So is there a proper/different way to align/orient the Quest2 so that the IRL environment match with a virtual environment which has the same geometry?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12

Hey ... no - my problem is, that the alignment is off when i leave the play and start again... soni thought i could place a tracker somewhere in my room - which never changes place. All my environment would be parented to that tracker ... i guess that could work also .... in this case i would not care if the hmd decides to be off because my room would still be where it was before since the tracker didnt move and my alignment would be fine ... do i miss something or could that work? 

Attach the mesh to a Spatial Anchor. Put a grab component in the mesh sou you can grab it and release anywhere you want. Make  an action to add a spatial anchor once you decided that the location is perfectly alingned with your surroundings.

Hey - thats actually a very good idea - so far i created two ancors per item and used the lookatrotation to line them up ... but your suggestion seems really userfriendly since its a pain in the ass to readjust offsets when the anchors are a bit off only ... will try that ... thanks!!!