cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE5.1 landscape material doesn't work.

victor.ayala.96742
Honored Guest

I've been troubleshooting this for a little bit, so I'm now trying the simplest build, and I still get wrong landscapes.

I create a new 'VR Template' game. I'm set up for internal installation of Oculus. I'll share my settings below. I create a landscape with default settings, delete the floor, then I import a material from Quixel Bridge. I add it to the landscape through the details panel, then I ship the game. 

The first image is how it looks in engine, and how it looks if I ship for Windows and start in VR. The second image is what it looks like inside the Oculus headset. Does anyone know what I can do? I've explained everything I've done to the game, trying to eliminate any other variables except the landscape and the material. Thanks in advance for your help!  Screenshot (18).pngvlcsnap-2023-01-02-12h09m53s619.pngScreenshot (4).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FuzzkingCool
Honored Guest

Hi. There are several issues at play here... 
- The most likely issue is shader compilation errors. You can only use 3 texture samplers in a landscape material on the Android Vulkan Mobile ES_3.1 platform/renderer. This includes any texture samplers used in material functions. A work around is to make an atlased texture of all your tileable textures, and then use flip-book like logic to offset as needed to the texture you want in a particular part of shader. As well, you can even use a VirtualTexture for this atlas if you have the correct render settings and texture sampler setup. I can confirm this works on Quest 2. 
- It's also possible that there are issues with the texture streaming budget or settings. The landscape material may be mipping the texture incorrectly for it's LOD settings. 

I suggest you install the mali offline compiler and configure it for Unreal so you can get platform errors/warnings in the material editor specific to the Quests GPU and Android Vulkan ES_3.1 platform. 

As well, please be aware that as of the time of writing this reply, Unreal 5.x no longer has Software Occlusion culling, which means basically you'll likely never reach 72fps publishing from Unreal 5.x. Hopefully Meta or Epic can offer a solution to this soon. Last stable and reccomended version of Unreal is the Oculus-VR/UnrealEgine source build @4.27

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Have also had this issue, makes the floor look very weird. Im guessing its just a bug with the landscape material?

victor.ayala.96742
Honored Guest

Here's how far I've come with it. The Quixel Bridge material blueprints are not ideal for the newest version of UE, or at least that's my understanding. At any rate, they definitely aren't working in VR. So it's best to make a material from scratch, taking the texture images from Bridge as a base. However, I have not been able to make a layered landscape material that works on Oculus standalone. Instead I just get the base color (so, for concrete texture, it's plain grey, and for grass, plain green). It's an improvement, makes the game playable, but not ideal. Any help on how to create layered landscape materials for VR in UE5.1 would be most appreciated! But maybe more importantly, is there a guide on maximum resolutions for Oculus? I feel like the texture may too high detail to be processed by the hardware, but since I haven't found solid documentation on asset limitations for Oculus, that's just a guess.

FuzzkingCool
Honored Guest

Hi. There are several issues at play here... 
- The most likely issue is shader compilation errors. You can only use 3 texture samplers in a landscape material on the Android Vulkan Mobile ES_3.1 platform/renderer. This includes any texture samplers used in material functions. A work around is to make an atlased texture of all your tileable textures, and then use flip-book like logic to offset as needed to the texture you want in a particular part of shader. As well, you can even use a VirtualTexture for this atlas if you have the correct render settings and texture sampler setup. I can confirm this works on Quest 2. 
- It's also possible that there are issues with the texture streaming budget or settings. The landscape material may be mipping the texture incorrectly for it's LOD settings. 

I suggest you install the mali offline compiler and configure it for Unreal so you can get platform errors/warnings in the material editor specific to the Quests GPU and Android Vulkan ES_3.1 platform. 

As well, please be aware that as of the time of writing this reply, Unreal 5.x no longer has Software Occlusion culling, which means basically you'll likely never reach 72fps publishing from Unreal 5.x. Hopefully Meta or Epic can offer a solution to this soon. Last stable and reccomended version of Unreal is the Oculus-VR/UnrealEgine source build @4.27