Did you mean: 

UE5 Nanite confirmed for PC VR

Anonymous
Not applicable
6 REPLIES 6

motorsep
Rising Star
@aussieburgerVR
Let me stop you right there 😉  UE5 might support VR, but neither Lumin nor Nanite will work in VR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

@aussieburgerVR
Let me stop you right there 😉  UE5 might support VR, but neither Lumin nor Nanite will work in VR.

exactly not what is stated in the link posted though 😉
To be clear he said it will be supported in PC VR not Mobile VR 😉

motorsep
Rising Star
This is the full quote: "Certainly, all the technology we're demonstrating will be able to run on the high end PC-based VR systems, which means a new generation of graphical fidelity, particularly in geometry. I don't have anything specific to announce for VR here, but I think it's going to create a really interesting march towards photorealism ... and as you see devices improve their resolution and other system parameters it's going to be very interesting."

With that he can always backpedal and say he was misunderstood. As it is this demo requires 2080 SUPER, top CPU and top SSD (and the right combo of mobo + SSD) to even run on PC. The demo was running on PS5 dev kit at ~30 fps. 

I can relate to your optimism, but when UE5 is out and there is demo to run on PC VR on widely available hardware and it meets VR performance requirements, then I will believe it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

This is the full quote: "Certainly, all the technology we're demonstrating will be able to run on the high end PC-based VR systems, which means a new generation of graphical fidelity, particularly in geometry. I don't have anything specific to announce for VR here, but I think it's going to create a really interesting march towards photorealism ... and as you see devices improve their resolution and other system parameters it's going to be very interesting."

With that he can always backpedal and say he was misunderstood. As it is this demo requires 2080 SUPER, top CPU and top SSD (and the right combo of mobo + SSD) to even run on PC. The demo was running on PS5 dev kit at ~30 fps. 

I can relate to your optimism, but when UE5 is out and there is demo to run on PC VR on widely available hardware and it meets VR performance requirements, then I will believe it.

yeah you're most probably right there - fingers crossed the downscaling scalability mentioned in the article still creates content better than what we have at the moment - but yes shouldn't get too excited until we see it in action 😉

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

Just in case someone hasn't seen more info on this since the original post, in one of the live streams last month they explicitly stated both Nanite and Lumen are too 'expensive' to do at 90 fps so there's no roadmap that it will come to VR in the next years. See here some notes about Lumen and VR at 1h13m02

Well that's not 100% what they said, at least in all their interventions regarding this subject. As you pointed out, and your video shows, Lumen is out of the table and will be for a long long time, (hope not forever). Not only because of performance but also because it uses deferred rendering and forward rendering has become the VR standard for a couple of reasons.

But their statements change when they talk about Nanite. Apparenly the possibility is there and it's not very difficult. It's just a question of them having the time to implement it ("connecting the dots", they said).

Of course we are talking about PCVR. I think standalone is also out of the table here.

[Nanite video, VR question]