cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreal Run on Device of oculus quest 2, I only can see the black screen with three dots.

TaeryongLee
Explorer

From Beginning of projects, the run on oculus quest tool bar button worked fine; I can enjoy developing my game.

determining packaging projects, I only can see the three dots on the black screen.

My project settings is following as:

Target hardware : Mobile/Tablet, Scaleable 2d or 3d

Packaging

use pack: tick

material shader code share: tick

Shared material native library: tick

prerequsite installer include : tick

Engine Rendering

Mobile shre vertext fog inactivate : tick

CSM cascade number : 2

Mobile MSAA : No MSAA

Movable Light CSM Shader Currling Support: tick

Textuture streaming : tick

Reflection Capture Resolution: 64

smooth suruface mixxing light map reduce: tick

Forward Shaing: tick

Mesh distance filed create: tick

8bit mesh distance field: tick

Mesh distance filed compress: tick

DBufffer Decal: tick

VR

Instance Stereo: Tick

Mobile HDR : Tick

Platform

Android

SDK version: 21-29

arm 7, arm64: tick

OpenGL ES.3.1 : tick

occulus Mobile Device Package: Oculus Quest 2

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

Three blinking dots could be many things. Are you using OpenXR or the Oculus plugin? Which Unreal version? From launcher or build from Github?

Most easy would be to just copy (and edit) the settings of a VR project that actually launches on the Quest.

Alos maybe look here; there was a thread on performance (& settings) on the Unreal forum a while back

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/what-are-the-performance-killer-for-vr-eg-oculusquest2-all-postpro...

View solution in original post

Now, I can run the project from oculus..

I followed as you instrcuted:

• The first thing you want to do is dig into Project Settings and (i just click ‘All Settings’ and use the search bar) find ‘Forward Renderer’. You want to enable Forward Shading and Vertex Fogging for Opaque, but the big one you should enable is Forward Shading. This changes the engine’s renderer to a ‘forward’ rendering method instead of a ‘deferred’ rendering method where (and this is a massively simplified explanation) it renders fewer buffers faster and pushes the frame once it’s done, rather than waiting for all the render buffers to be calculated before assembling the frame and pushing it to the displays. You won’t be able to access a few buffers like Scene Depth, but you’ll see somewhere around a 20% performance increase.

• Next, hit up Engine>Rendering>Mobile and enable Disable Vertex Fogging (tick the box, this is phrased oddly), set the max number of CSM Cascades to 2 or 1, set Mobile MSAA to 4x or lower (use your best judgement in testing) and enable Use Legacy Shading Model. None of this will kneecap your visual quality, but will improve performance at least a bit, and will be handy if you deploy to Quest/2 as a standalone package.

• Enable Occlusion Culling and Round Robin Occlusion Culling. Occlusion culling will stop oobjects and meshes from being rendered if theyre not visible to the player, and Round Robin Occlusion Culling means that in VR, this occlusion testing is done in one eye at a time, which lowers a bit more overhead.

• In Engine>Rendering>Default Settings, disable Bloom, Ambient Occlusion, Motion Blur and Lens Flares. Each of these is an additional render pass, and expensive, so disable for more performance boosts. Ill get to materials in a bit, but ill note here that you can create materials in such a way that objects will generate AO as baked, static lighting which is a handy alternative to real-time AO. While we’re here, set Anti-Aliasing Method to MSAA; its the best tradeoff between performance and visual fidelity.

• In Engine>Rendering>VR, disable Mobile HDR and enable Instanced Stereo. This is also where RR Occlusion Queries is, for reference. I haven’t tested performance with Mobile Multi-View enabled, but this may reduce some overhead in standalone Quest/2 projects. It’s the instanced stereo option that’s critical to enable, as this will instance draw calls per-eye, which should give you a performance boost of around 30-45%.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

Add a check to 'start in VR' for starters

I forgot to mention that I ticked the VR start already. 

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

Three blinking dots could be many things. Are you using OpenXR or the Oculus plugin? Which Unreal version? From launcher or build from Github?

Most easy would be to just copy (and edit) the settings of a VR project that actually launches on the Quest.

Alos maybe look here; there was a thread on performance (& settings) on the Unreal forum a while back

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/what-are-the-performance-killer-for-vr-eg-oculusquest2-all-postpro...

Now, I can run the project from oculus..

I followed as you instrcuted:

• The first thing you want to do is dig into Project Settings and (i just click ‘All Settings’ and use the search bar) find ‘Forward Renderer’. You want to enable Forward Shading and Vertex Fogging for Opaque, but the big one you should enable is Forward Shading. This changes the engine’s renderer to a ‘forward’ rendering method instead of a ‘deferred’ rendering method where (and this is a massively simplified explanation) it renders fewer buffers faster and pushes the frame once it’s done, rather than waiting for all the render buffers to be calculated before assembling the frame and pushing it to the displays. You won’t be able to access a few buffers like Scene Depth, but you’ll see somewhere around a 20% performance increase.

• Next, hit up Engine>Rendering>Mobile and enable Disable Vertex Fogging (tick the box, this is phrased oddly), set the max number of CSM Cascades to 2 or 1, set Mobile MSAA to 4x or lower (use your best judgement in testing) and enable Use Legacy Shading Model. None of this will kneecap your visual quality, but will improve performance at least a bit, and will be handy if you deploy to Quest/2 as a standalone package.

• Enable Occlusion Culling and Round Robin Occlusion Culling. Occlusion culling will stop oobjects and meshes from being rendered if theyre not visible to the player, and Round Robin Occlusion Culling means that in VR, this occlusion testing is done in one eye at a time, which lowers a bit more overhead.

• In Engine>Rendering>Default Settings, disable Bloom, Ambient Occlusion, Motion Blur and Lens Flares. Each of these is an additional render pass, and expensive, so disable for more performance boosts. Ill get to materials in a bit, but ill note here that you can create materials in such a way that objects will generate AO as baked, static lighting which is a handy alternative to real-time AO. While we’re here, set Anti-Aliasing Method to MSAA; its the best tradeoff between performance and visual fidelity.

• In Engine>Rendering>VR, disable Mobile HDR and enable Instanced Stereo. This is also where RR Occlusion Queries is, for reference. I haven’t tested performance with Mobile Multi-View enabled, but this may reduce some overhead in standalone Quest/2 projects. It’s the instanced stereo option that’s critical to enable, as this will instance draw calls per-eye, which should give you a performance boost of around 30-45%.