cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Rift as part of UE4 IK?

saviornt
Protege
Afaik, the default camera nor the unofficial vr template incorporate this. As a thought experiment, how would I go about linking the vr camera controller with the character ik chain?
8 REPLIES 8

opamp
Protege
"saviornt" wrote:
Afaik, the default camera nor the unofficial vr template incorporate this. As a thought experiment, how would I go about linking the vr camera controller with the character ik chain?

I played around with this a while back. I cant remember of the top of my head but I can send you the test projects if you like?

saviornt
Protege
Sure, if you could I would appreciate it!

opamp
Protege
"saviornt" wrote:
Sure, if you could I would appreciate it!

I just PM'd you.

Fredrum
Expert Protege
I just asked the same question in a new thread today. Should have skimmed the forum a bit more carefully.
Would you mind sending me a copy too of your Ik setup? :? It would be great to see how to do that. I am new to UE4 and doing rigging in the engine seems pretty tricky.

Cheers
Fred

andrewtek
Expert Protege
Consider looking at the Couch Knights project. I think it does what you want.

Fredrum
Expert Protege
Ah yes thats a really good idea ill check that out!

Cheers
Fred

getnamo
Honored Guest
Usually you store the position of the rift in a variable that you pass to your animation blueprint and then use IK/FABRIK/or bone orientation (transform) to adjust your head/torso to look right.

This is how I implemented head IK in the unofficial leap plugin

(note open image in a new tab, oculus forums doesn't resize images correctly)

It also has a fully rigged character for you to explore, change and use in the plugin's content. Feel free to use any of it as you see fit.

opamp
Protege
Getnamo's plugin is probably the best example.
But just incase anybody else wants to play with looking at yourself in a mirror i'll post a link to my old experiment.

It's a bit of a mess as it was just an experiment about 8 months ago(updated project to 4.7 IIRC).
the relevant stuff will be in the anim blueprint and the pawn blueprint IIRC.
Theres a couple of different maps but the default one should do.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzgVPR4xFGgjUHJZeXE1UWp0dE0&authuser=0