cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vulkan and HDR on Quest actually possible?

virtualHCG
Expert Protege
So far the recommendation is to turn off Mobile HDR but I keep reading this articles online referencing that Vulkan would allow for Mobile HDR on the Quest, for example, quoting from https://venturebeat.com/2019/08/10/unreal-engine-now-supports-vulkan-for-oculus-quest-and-go/ :

"Facebook claims that on Epic’s Sun Temple engine sample Vulkan reduces frame times from 16ms to 13ms, a roughly 20% improvement. The company also explained that Vulkan allows for HDR rendering."

I tested it and my project crashes at launch on the Quest when built with Mobile HDR ON and only Vlukan enabled (works fine with HDR OFF and only Vulkan enabled). Is this something actually possible right now? Using OpenGL and HDR ON also causes a crash, which seems to be expected, but I was wondering if based on Facebook's statements this is different with Vulkan. All my tests have been done using the latest 4.23 integration.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

rasamaya
Explorer
Yup Vulkan crashes with Mobile HDr for me too. Very difficult to post process or even white balance walls etc. Annoying for sure.

virtualHCG
Expert Protege
From my experience, it seems that unless another forum user knows the answer, questions posted in this forum go unanswered by official Oculus support staff (I guess that is why the forums are listed under the "Self-Help Resources" header in their support page). I've had better luck submitting a bug ticket directly, which might eventually get answered. I just did that here: https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/460164121326245/

Anonymous
Not applicable
any news on this?

Linsomont
Protege
Is there any news on the above-mentioned topic?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been testing everything to get postprocessing but failed miserably. No Quest HDR and PostProcessing layer and Ambient Occlusion.

Anonymous
Not applicable
hmm.. PP is for sure to expensive. Even if you would build for the Rift and PC-GPU. But I really wonder how the Mobile HDR effects the performance. Did you run any tests you could share when just using Mobile HDR? 

thanks a lot for any info... cheers!

motorsep
Rising Star
It's been said many many times - do not use HDR on mobile VR. It's performance heavy. 

What Epic should have done is provided LDR bloom and some other PP options, so that PP could be used without HDR on mobile (like good ol' PC games that didn't have HDR, but had quite a few PP effects)

GeoffreyBoy
Explorer

motorsep said:

It's been said many many times - do not use HDR on mobile VR. It's performance heavy. 

What Epic should have done is provided LDR bloom and some other PP options, so that PP could be used without HDR on mobile (like good ol' PC games that didn't have HDR, but had quite a few PP effects)

Thanks for the tips.