cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do to support DK2 in UDK?

IllusionWeaver6
Explorer
Hi guys,

Quick question : what needs to be done in order to get a UDK demo working fine on DK1 working on DK2?
49 REPLIES 49

cybereality
Grand Champion
I asked, but I was told there is no ETA available.

Ghostship
Explorer
No probs, got to keep pushing, we are just waiting on you guys now to release the VR version 🙂 And we are getting a few people asking when its available, its a question we are not in a position to answer but endeavor to find out as responsible dev 🙂

niksha
Honored Guest
Not really sure why UDK isn't a priority for Oculus team and Epic.

Is this all because Epic wants to force people to use Unreal 4 if they want to use Rift? People won't just magically give up on using UDK when their whole projects will break and consume more time on moving to U4.

There are so many developers who could have Oculus integrated into their game by now, but nope, it's not really a priority at all (while U4 gets regular updates).

EDIT: Also, developers shouldn't have to go around begging for support to sell someone's product. Jeez. Lets just move on if the company isn't treating UDK users as priority at all. :roll:

cybereality
Grand Champion
Internally I think we even have a more updated version of UDK. However it's not our engine, and we don't control the release schedule. As it seems all the attention is going to Unreal 4 now, I assume there is not much bandwidth left for UDK. However, we are still pushing to make a new release, and will do our best to get that out there if possible.

Ghostship
Explorer
"niksha" wrote:
Not really sure why UDK isn't a priority for Oculus team and Epic.

Is this all because Epic wants to force people to use Unreal 4 if they want to use Rift? People won't just magically give up on using UDK when their whole projects will break and consume more time on moving to U4.

There are so many developers who could have Oculus integrated into their game by now, but nope, it's not really a priority at all (while U4 gets regular updates).

EDIT: Also, developers shouldn't have to go around begging for support to sell someone's product. Jeez. Lets just move on if the company isn't treating UDK users as priority at all. :roll:

I agree with you totally. UDK has been available for years for devs. With no signs from EPIC when u4 would actually be publically available. UDK is quite old now, and understandably EPIC and Oculus need to move (ahead) of the times, and get the best possible product in our hands.

The U4 release was very out of the blue. As most will agree, a welcome out of the blue. But for Devs who have Worked on our projects for years and are at the end of development is not helpful for us. I would have loved to port everything over to u4, but at the end of development, its too late.

I am personally getting asked more and more witch each day which passes, When ? When ? our game is ready for noneVR. Its made for VR. Its works amazing with DK1 and are waiting until we can release it as its meant to be (for DK2). And there is more out there who are wondering why UDK is the last ship to leave the dock?

So another plea to oculus and epic, please give us something to stamp the finished dot on some of our projects and careers 🙂

niksha
Honored Guest
"Ghostship" wrote:
"niksha" wrote:
I am personally getting asked more and more witch each day which passes, When ? When ? our game is ready for noneVR. Its made for VR. Its works amazing with DK1 and are waiting until we can release it as its meant to be (for DK2). And there is more out there who are wondering why UDK is the last ship to leave the dock?

I really doubt it that Epic will support UDK anymore and Oculus team, it seems, is unable to port new SDK without getting support from Epic (and like I said, Epic's priority now is U4).

I hope you don't hold your game's release because of Oculus. Your game will still sell on it own merits (not to mention, not many people have Oculus except developers, mostly), it's the Oculus that is losing out on free product placement by not being included in another Indie game.

And here's the thing. UDK supports DX11 and looks great (I am working on DeusEx related content, the reason why I wanted Oculus since it'd been a neat addition). People who are comfortable with it will keep using it for a while until U4 is stable on all platforms. On Steam there are still UDK games on Greenlight being added.

So for a year and a half until U4 is stable, no Oculus support will really not help anyone. It just sucks since Rift is awesome tech that will enhance any game but why spend time tweaking your game for it when you have no guarantee that new SDK will ever be supported? (which I was doing..).

Oh well, last reply from cybereality basically implies that it's Epic that is intentionally holding back the release to force people to switch. Not surprised with that since Epic probably doesn't want to bother supporting UDK now.

What a shame. 😞

mariom
Honored Guest
*bump*
Have any of you had any news about this?

I'm mainly interested because I want to play Dream with my DK2... and I've been waiting more than a year 😛

brunomartelli
Explorer
I would also like DK2, UDK compatibility, I too have a large project that won't be able to port over to UE4

asidebottom
Honored Guest
"mariom" wrote:
*bump*
Have any of you had any news about this?

I'm mainly interested because I want to play Dream with my DK2... and I've been waiting more than a year 😛

I second this! Mainly because I'm one of the Devs on Dream.
Dream is too large of a project and nearly at completion to be bale to port over to UE4 😞

mariom
Honored Guest
*crosses fingers*