cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do to support DK2 in UDK?

IllusionWeaver6
Explorer
Hi guys,

Quick question : what needs to be done in order to get a UDK demo working fine on DK1 working on DK2?
49 REPLIES 49

Ghostship
Explorer
I third this 🙂

Ghostship Aftermath is now released, people keep asking when they are getting DK2 compatibility. I would like to give them an answer on that 🙂 Instead of saying, I don't know.

I have been informed that its just the head tracking which doesn't work with most UDK games on DK2. That would be a start 🙂

mariom
Honored Guest
*Bump*
Keeping the hope alive

zechelon
Honored Guest
Still hope, but I don't think there will be a support for UDK 😞

Scofthe7seas
Honored Guest
Now, I’m definitely no kind of programmer, but I’m wondering how hard would it be to create some kind of translator/wrapper that could reinterpreted the basic data coming from DK2 to the software that works with DK1. I mean, as far as basic functionality. It’s the distortion (which is mostly the same in portrait mode, save for some more chromatic aberration correction right?), and raw number/data representing the same axes as simple head tracking/ no positional stuff, nothing that DK1 doesn’t do. Something kind of like Deskope that can be integrated into current UDK used software.

mariom
Honored Guest
It would have to be some kind of plug in that reads the DK2's sensors data on its own, and replaces the distortion shaders with correct DK2 shaders. While some kind of setup that did this might be possible, it might make it more complicated for both an end user and the developers, as UDK isn't as flexible as UE4.

But let's not give up the faith in Epic yet 😛

Ghostship
Explorer
"Scofthe7seas" wrote:
Now, I’m definitely no kind of programmer, but I’m wondering how hard would it be to create some kind of translator/wrapper that could reinterpreted the basic data coming from DK2 to the software that works with DK1. I mean, as far as basic functionality. It’s the distortion (which is mostly the same in portrait mode, save for some more chromatic aberration correction right?), and raw number/data representing the same axes as simple head tracking/ no positional stuff, nothing that DK1 doesn't do. Something kind of like Deskope that can be integrated into current UDK used software.

That is a good point to make clear for Myself and a lot of other devs who have designed and developed their game using dk1. A lot of us have not used positional tracking etc for our games and finished games in UDK, a lot of our games are made for and will benefit from the HD, low persistence and latency side of it. There are lots people asking, and asking and asking me, It must be the same for others who are in final development or released state. And don't want to direct them all here and voice there needs, Or do I?

To be fair, there has been a lot of UDK devs who have been waiting for an SDK update since 3x Those of who have been patient and hung on are now left with a game we cant even showcase on your 2nd dev kit. I am about to release the first DLC for game (Hassle Free) which is free and lets the player explore a huge open world space craft next month, and i really expected to release the game last month with dk2 compatibility. Its almost September, are we likely to have any news on this.

Scofthe7seas
Honored Guest
I'm glad that my comment wasn't taken out of the context that I meant it! I was worried somebody would think I was complaining about how simple it may or may not be to do it, and why isn't it getting done blahblahblah. I'm just... I don't know, it's kind of silly, but frustrated on behalf of some of you guys. I see, in MANY forums in Steam where people are bombarding devs with questions and complaints about dk2 support without knowing the situation, or the frustration that must be there for the devs who clearly would like to release their games with DK2 support. I'm shocked that Epic would ignore (for the most part) the devs that started using udk /because/ it had good rift adaptation. I mean, there has to be a tolerance level where devs will just use Unity or something else instead for their next project because of this. That's financial loss.

Username123
Honored Guest
I had to bump this thread since I want UDK3 - free version to support DK2 as well..any news about it anything?

DaveSHG
Honored Guest
Sorry to bump... 1 month passed... Any news about UDK vs DK 2 ?

Ghostship
Explorer
"DaveSHG" wrote:
Sorry to bump... 1 month passed... Any news about UDK vs DK 2 ?

Any news would be good news.