cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do to support DK2 in UDK?

IllusionWeaver6
Explorer
Hi guys,

Quick question : what needs to be done in order to get a UDK demo working fine on DK1 working on DK2?
49 REPLIES 49

flasht
Honored Guest
Any news?

Philth
Honored Guest
Rift team should have the resources to do this now with the Facebook infusion. Get 20-30 guys dedicated to just making every and any SDK Rift compatible. Old and new. The only way Rift is going to go anywhere is by doing this, you can't just leave the ball in the courts of everyone hoping they see the light. You need to bring an army of programmers with welding torches and just get it done.

How serious does Oculus want to get? Do you want the entire industry to embrace it or just shrug and hope they do?

mariom
Honored Guest
Yes please, I bought Dream like 2 years ago I think and waiting for DK2 from the start. Please!

polemos
Honored Guest
any news yet??? I need to get the Oculus Rift working with the new version of the udk...

andrewtek
Expert Protege
"polemos" wrote:
any news yet??? I need to get the Oculus Rift working with the new version of the udk...

Do you mean Unreal Engine 4? UE4 has support.

AndrewFord
Honored Guest
I'm also interested in this update.
Maybe there will be some way to do this manually? I mean patch to get DK2 working

opamp
Protege
I think you guys need to give up the ghost on this one.

Even though the DK2 page still states

includes out-of-the-box engine integrations for the Unreal Development Kit, Unreal Engine 4, and Unity 4 that make getting started with VR game development easier and faster than ever.

I dont think its ever going to happen. This has nothing to do with Oculus this is down to Epic. As far as Epic are concerned everybody should be using there 'latest and greatest' UE4. If its a choice between supporting a free app or an app that collects me X amount in revenue every month I know where I'd be focusing my attention.

Even though I think UE3/UDK is a better fit as far as the DK2/CV1 performance requirements are concerned.

Epic- "UDK? Whats UDK?'

andrewtek
Expert Protege
"opamp" wrote:

...As far as Epic are concerned everybody should be using there 'latest and greatest' UE4. If its a choice between supporting a free app or an app that collects me X amount in revenue every month I know where I'd be focusing my attention...

Epic allows anyone who wants the current version of Unreal Engine 4 to get it for a single payment of $19. If you sell your game and make more than $3000, then they want 5% of your revenue. I actually like their "skin in the game" model.

opamp
Protege
"andrewtek" wrote:
"opamp" wrote:

...As far as Epic are concerned everybody should be using there 'latest and greatest' UE4. If its a choice between supporting a free app or an app that collects me X amount in revenue every month I know where I'd be focusing my attention...

Epic allows anyone who wants the current version of Unreal Engine 4 to get it for a single payment of $19. If you sell your game and make more than $3000, then they want 5% of your revenue. I actually like their "skin in the game" model.

Very true but a some of us keep paying the monthly subscription for the updates and access to github.

Ghostship
Explorer
It may be all well and good for those who can port their UDK game to U4. Unfortunately with the case of Ghostship Aftermath it is not a port, it making the whole game again as most of the game has been using Kismet as well as the entire ship being built piece by piece spread across over 60 maps. So importing some of the base code and assets would take an age since the ship environment has over a thousand models and more materials and textures. Remaking the whole game is off the cards for our game and may be for others.

One of the biggest points is that UDK and U3 engine has been a widely used engine for many games over the years and I am sure those Devs would not like to have to re-make a game just to get it working in VR.