cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

building a computer for just one UE4 experience

jmc
Honored Guest
Hello,
I want to put together a PC hooked up to an oculus where you turn it on, once it boots up the experience starts right away and when it's done (after 8 minutes) the computer shuts off. it's for someone who doesn't know anything about computers, has a lot of money, and they just want to have this toy.
The experience i have is a fly through of a level made in ue4. The user just looks around and enjoys the ride. It's heavy on the graphics, goes indoor and out, etc. Right now It's running well on a gtx 780...i was thinking about getting a gtx980 for this. What else should I get? 4ghz 8-core processor? Or would something smaller be okay? How much RAM you think? I don't want to overkill it but I know the GPU is important to get that steady frame rate.

Also - where should I start googling in terms of programming a PC to automatically start a game on startup and shut down 8 minutes later. Can I do all that in Python? Would Ubuntu or something be okay for this or do ue4 games not look as nice? Or would windows just be easier in terms of oculus/nvidia drivers etc? Is there a script that can shut a computer down safely while a game is running?

Anyway...any ideas to get me started would be very helpful! Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

saviornt
Protege
I cant say anything about specs, depends on the experience. As far as automating the OS, what version of what OS?

jmc
Honored Guest
thanks for the reply. the experience is just a float around world where you look around. heavy on the textures. it's inside and outside. a lot of animated characters...a landscape....runs okay with my gtx780 but the 980 seems like it's around the same price.

i was thinking of using win8.1 for the OS but was wondering if something like ubuntu would be a just as easy setup. it's been awhile since i used it but i remember the drivers for nvidia being a huge pain.