cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Fisherman's Tale vs Derail Valley, which should I buy?

maybeillbepapaj
Honored Guest
I saw both of these games as "Coming Soon" a bit ago, but I wasn't really interested in either. After they have both come out, I looked at both and they actually both look very interesting. 2 very unique and interesting styles of gameplay. Both have a pretty good price but I wasn't really sure which I should get, Derail Valley or Fisherman's Tale. Anyone who has played either or both of them, can you tell me what you prefer or what looks better to you?
9 REPLIES 9

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
"A Fisherman's Tale vs Derail Valley, which should I buy?"

Both  😉 If you need some time between purchasing each, flip a coin  🙂 (Ok, if you need a long time between each purchase, get the train simulator, otherwise start fishing!)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Derail Valley has gotten some critique - average rating is now 76 % based on 37 ratings, while A Fisherman's Tale is 92% based on 60 ratings. 

Today I'd go for the fisherman 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

residentweevil
Expert Protege
Surely one being finished and one being in Early Access should make your mind up? DV is good but has a long, long way to go yet before being finished, so your enjoyment will depend on how patient you want to be with it.

DTH
Heroic Explorer
I love the Fisherman's Tale.  Derail Valley does look good but the Eary release is a warning.  I have some early releases and they just die never to be finished.   Just keep on eye on the Valley and go fishing.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'm also interested in both games. How long is Fisherman's Tale? 

I'll wait for Derail Valley to mature a bit. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

lensmandave
Superstar

MowTin said:

I'm also interested in both games. How long is Fisherman's Tale? 

I'll wait for Derail Valley to mature a bit. 

Fisherman's Tale is great! It's a bit short tho'. If you take your time and explore everything in detail, I figure you've got a couple of hours of fun. It's a brilliant and intriguing concept.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Fisherman's Tale is great! It's a bit short tho'. If you take your time and explore everything in detail, I figure you've got a couple of hours of fun. It's a brilliant and intriguing concept.

So it sounds like the OP can buy Fisherman's Tale, finish it in a few hours, then move on to Derail Valley. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now I have not played Fishermans Tale (yet), but I think it is more polished and finished.
Im really looking forward to getting the full version of Derail (only played demo), but it is still a little rough around the edges.
Will wait for a patch or two before buying

maybeillbepapaj
Honored Guest
Based on these comments, I think most people prefer A Fisherman's Tale (also it's $5 less so that's pretty cool). I'm going to wait a bit and check in on Derail Valley after a while, see any new updates. I'll probably get Fisherman's Tale if there are no major updates to Derail after a while. Thanks for responding!