cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A-Maze-Ing

bigwhopper
Honored Guest
Hi everyone,

I used a few hours in the evening today to create another test project for the Rift. This little demo is a medieval Maze.
Although there is no exit yet, it should give you something to explore. 😄
screenshot.jpg

I used the newest Oculus SDK 0.2.3 so it should take your IPD and player height from the utility automatically.

I hope the size and scale of objects seems correct, I am also as always interested in the frame rate you get. It runs smooth at 60 fps on my PC but my graphics card is pretty beefy so it would be great to see if this works smoothly for others too. That helps me to find out if i need to adjust some settings before I continue on this. 🙂

I might try to make this a multiplayer game where multiple Rift player try to find the exit or find items in the maze.

Have fun and let me know what you think!

Here is the download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7epzkgxlun7zwaj/Maze.zip
6 REPLIES 6

drash
Heroic Explorer
Nice to see a fresh new demo! 😄 I like the general atmosphere of this one. Wading through water in a maze is a strange twist!

The castle/fortress structures surrounding the maze are maddeningly out of reach -- they look so enticing!

I think the spikes coming out of the walls in one area look really good. That and the little cart at one of the dead-ends makes for good variety.

The birds are a really nice touch, although sometimes when you're directly underneath them they appear to be flying on their side (because of billboarding I'm guessing, so not sure if it's worth trying to address that). For immersion's sake, it would be cool to once in a while hear them squawking as they fly overhead (but not too often as that could get repetitive).

I'm sure you're aware but I see flickering/alternating/z-fighting wall textures on the corners of the maze walls.

And finally, on my GTX680 I was getting a steady 60fps (could be more but Unity's vsync is probably on) the whole time except it'll drop to nearly 40fps when I am standing in the area with the spikes and I look toward the fortress structure outside of the maze (the one that has two thick towers and a bridge connecting them, not the one with arches and a high tower sticking out of the middle).

Hope to see more!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

drash
Heroic Explorer
Also, the name reminds me of an old game I loved as a kid:

😄
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

LuckyLu
Explorer
Nice demo, took me a while to figure out there are no exits, guess i should have read your post before jumping in 🙂

bigwhopper
Honored Guest
Thanks for the quick feedback!

I am still checking into that flickering texture issue, and I am trying to come up with a 'game plan' to make this a bit more game-like once I know from a few people that the framerate is stable.

Its nice to hear that the big buildings give a good sense of scale to others too!

If i find some time today I'll work on a new version and will upload it here.

I am actually surprised too that there are not more demos or WIP projects are being released lately, I was hoping for more since Oculus finally was able to ship out so many more units to developers....

Maybe i was too optimistic 😉

LuckyLu
Explorer
Most of the devs that intended to work with the rift knew about it in time and probably were the firsts 10k, the rest probably mostly enthusiasts so you won't get a lot more stuff coming out.

ikanreed
Honored Guest
"LuckyLu" wrote:
Most of the devs that intended to work with the rift knew about it in time and probably were the firsts 10k, the rest probably mostly enthusiasts so you won't get a lot more stuff coming out.

Yeah, no. I'm a developer, and I'm more interested in creating than playing, but I only jumped on in june when the Omni kickstarter happened.