cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFFECTED - The Horror Experience (DK2 - Runtime 0.7+)

mpaul0055
Honored Guest

WARNING JUMP SCARES

Format: PC ONLY (Mac Release Soon)
Version: v1.53
Controls: Xbox 360 Controller - Keyboard and mouse

v1.60 (Runtime 0.7+) Updates
Runtime 0.7+ Compatible
New Colour Grading
Bug Fixes
Performance Improvement

v1.54 (SDK4.2) Updates
Modifications to the Manor layout + extra scares.
Manor Bug Fixes
SSAO Disabled due to performance and artefact issues
Colour Correction
Download Here: v1.54 DX11 & D3D9 http://www.fallenplanetstudios.com/?page_id=347
PayPal Donation: mpaul0055@aol.com 😉

:!: Ive found that Affected works best in Extended mode for most users :!:

v1.50 Additions
DK2 Support
Calibration Screen
Many New Scares with Random Scare Generation
Asylum Re-skinned
Additional Music & SFX

Known Bugs:
Fade into walls 50% working
Transition fades cause banding

24/10/2014 UPDATE: Affected 1.5 is now released! Thanks for your support everyone, its really appreciated and keeps us little devs going.

I will be announcing Affected 2 in the coming months which will utilize the Unreal Engine.

If any of you guys have a spare moment to vote for Affected on the share platform it would be greatly appreciated. Any extra viability is always great 😄
https://share.oculus.com/app/affected-- ... 9474283800

UPDATE: Just wanted to pop by and say a BIG THANKS to everyone for all the support and kind words. Its been a bit of a whirlwind the past few weeks with emails flying in left right and center, let alone my day to day job being quite demanding the past week.

Affected - The Horror Experience is not your average horror game. Designed specifically with the Oculus Rift in mind, you are transported to three different terrifying scenarios.There are no keys to find, pieces of paper to locate or mazes to get lost in, think of it as a modern day haunted house.

I really hope you enjoy the experience and if you feel like donating, then any amount would be appreciated to help fund my Unity Pro licence. It would also go towards the blood, sweat and tears that where poured into this development :ugeek: . Details can be found on the Fallen Planet Website.

Get In Touch: MP@fallenplanetstudios.com

For more information on Affected visit http://www.fallenplanetstudios.com
366 REPLIES 366

yuanxiaoyu
Honored Guest
i would love to play this if im not such a pussy

someone please upload a playthrough for the faint hearted

planb
Protege
Wow-Wow-Wow...absolutley FANTASTIC!!!! Thank you so much for this game. THIS is really really scary + polished + easy to play...i love it! For me the best rift horror game so far...hard to beat.
P.S.: All the pictures are so wonderful! Thx again...Hope we see soon more from your work on kickstarter.

yuanxiaoyu
Honored Guest
"yuanxiaoyu" wrote:
i would love to play this if im not such a pussy

someone please upload a playthrough for the faint hearted

update on this,
i forced myself to play this,
fucking fantastic

Ananas
Explorer
First warning to players: Contains jumpscares.

It was great. Very polished game, loved the menu. Simple controls and very well made levels (or at least the first one, might play the others later). The use of flashlight, colors and brightness was very clever.

But one thing I need to say. Please no jumpscares with Oculus Rift. They're cheap and all they do is startle you with a loud noise. They might be ok with a regular monitor, but people playing with Rift don't want to have things jumping in their face. (But good you didn't make them to take the control of the camera like how something like Outlast did). Being more subtle and playing with players mind and atmosphere is much more effective way to create a good horror experience. You know, player seeing something in the corner of his eye, random and weird noises from behind the wall, seeing someone behind the window etc.

But otherwise it was very nice and well made game.

BaseDeltaZero
Honored Guest
Holy Crap!

I don't get scared from horror movies or games, even Rift games.
Most of the horror titles were easy for me to dismiss, maybe due to the low poly nature not immersing me enough, maybe because i know the magic that goes on behind the scenes.

This is the first one that made my skin crawl! i even jumped! Got shivers down my spine!

Well Done for the first really polished horror game made so far!
and im only through the first part 🙂 Elevator down to the Asylum, and im like..nope...save it for another day haha
Top notch modeling, right down to the nice touches like wallpaper peeling off.
That room with the piano, i was like... i hope its going to do what i think it will.. and it did 🙂

Awesome Awesome Awesome!

Did i use enough exclamation marks? lol
Ambient Flight Eagle Flight Experience Dinosaur Voyage Running from Dinosaurs

mpaul0055
Honored Guest
Thanks for all the comments so far, glad you guys are enjoying it. 😄

The Jumpscare debate was one I had for a long time with a good number of friends. I always wanted this to be an "onrails" style experience where someone who does not like gaming could still get through the whole experience. The word cheap was mentioned quite a few times by some friends when it came to using jump scares, but personally for me, for this type of demo I enjoy them. :evil: I have also worked tirelessly on atmosphere and the timing of the scares. We have tested so many different versions, with different styles of scares, but what we have now, worked the best for what I wanted.

Its a topic of discussion as some people enjoy them, some people not so much.

Ananas
Explorer
Yes, I totally understand how those kind of scripted events fit better to this on-rains kind of gameplay. And you've managed to do them well. Making the levels not-so-linear might be too confusing and mazelike especially if you have low lighting and many ways to go.

mpaul0055
Honored Guest
"Ananas" wrote:
Yes, I totally understand how those kind of scripted events fit better to this on-rains kind of gameplay. And you've managed to do them well. Making the levels not-so-linear might be too confusing and mazelike especially if you have low lighting and many ways to go.

Yeh man, I loved Alone In The Rift, but i got stuck for so long in the corridors trying to find an office i ended up a bit numb to the experience and gave up. I also love sticking people in the Rift and there's nothing worse than having to explain to people how to get unstuck etc..

Im going to try and aim to make all my developments really intuitive to use.

Thanks for the feedback mate, really appreciated...

And if anyone had and development tips, i.e lighting etc.. Drop me a message, theres so much for me still to learn!

BaseDeltaZero
Honored Guest
"mpaul0055" wrote:

And if anyone had and development tips, i.e lighting etc.. Drop me a message, theres so much for me still to learn!

Hey Mark

Since you are asking for it 🙂

When you start the game head into the lift and enter the first room, frame rate drops when you look right, you might want to tweak some LODS there or adjust your occlusion culling, hell maybe even one model thats the culprit (happens to me often)
As soon as the FPS dropped, i thought, oh damn. another laggy unoptimized demo, but after you went passed it it was smooth from there on. Fix that and you will have a smooth experience.

I think you can tweak the lighting, not necessarily brighter over all, but make the lights brighter and reduce the falloff or decay or whatever unity calls it, i forget. Having more dynamic range will make it less flat while still keeping it dark and moody.

Certain set pieces that make you want to stop to look at would be great to be higher poly/better models, the record player for instance, starts and makes you want to check it out, yet its pretty low poly. breaks immersion.

i would suggest getting amplify color from the asset store, its a great tool for color correction. go watch some horror movies, notice how each scene is tinted blue or red, you can do that in realtime these days with little overhead, which would help with the mood of your game immensely.

There you go, some constructive feedback after some nice words in my last post 🙂

Good job regardless of my comments 🙂 sent some spare change into your paypal.
Ambient Flight Eagle Flight Experience Dinosaur Voyage Running from Dinosaurs

zQne
Honored Guest
Really nice and scary game!
Its very well done mate. I tried the manor and i was abit freaked. Sounds enviroment everything good.
However on the manor
i found the little girl at the stairs after piano and she pop up infront of me and scream then game ended?
Was that supposed or i "died"?

Gonna try the other 2 parts now. Sick game!!!

Edit: Tried all levels now. Really nice game, so fantastic made mate. I found the 2nd one to be scariest..

On the carnival i got alittle lost and went outside the map, if i passed the horse..

Anyways looking foward for more games from you, easy the scariest game ive played.!