cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affected: The Manor

TravisPNW
Adventurer
Ok... so I saw this tonight and being the horror fan that I am I read up on it.

It looked amazing so I purchased it.

Well...  I've made it as far as walking in the front door and I am seriously creeped out.  I actually took the headset off!

Anyone else got this yet?  What do you think?

NO spoilers please!
LG CX OLED 48 / i9 10900k / RTX 3090 FE / 64GB / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / Oculus Quest 2 256GB
23 REPLIES 23

dougchism
Expert Protege
I picked it up - its fun. The graphics are rather primitive but the scares are good. I havent made it through the whole thing, but Ive been jump scared pretty bad a few times, and super stressed/scared a few times, enough to feel mildly physically sick ( not motion sick, more like the chills and stressed ). My daughter sort of mildly injured herself watching me play since I hooked up audio mirroring and she gets scared just watching. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'll have to try this. Everyone has been talking about this for the longest. I played an early demo version a long time ago, looks like this one is much improved since then.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TravisPNW
Adventurer

I'll have to try this. Everyone has been talking about this for the longest. I played an early demo version a long time ago, looks like this one is much improved since then.

Yeah it's really good... and Paranormal Activity tomorrow?  What a week for horror fans.
LG CX OLED 48 / i9 10900k / RTX 3090 FE / 64GB / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / Oculus Quest 2 256GB

iTsLiKeAnEgG
Protege

Cyril said:

I haven't played it yet, but I'm downloading it now.

Sure enough, even with it's multiple branches it's more of a high end amusement park attraction then a game...

Sure enough your girlfriend can complete her first walk through in less then 15 minutes, if she's willing to walk forward...

Sure enough I didn't expected it to be be priced that high, although you get unlimited entries to an amusement park level attraction for that price...

But it's probably better then any amusement park attraction you've been to.

In my case, just from the first three people who played the early free beta version :
- I got my first and best remembered VR jumpscare (the one where a piece of furniture falls over to block your path).
- One friend (sitting) violently kicked back his wheelchair, sending it crashing into my furniture (no more wheelchairs for this VR title 😛 ).
- Another friend (standing) just froze out for a full second, then slowly let out an unexpectedly rude comment which I won't repeat here (spoiler : "oh--- you--- fu.....--- Bi... !").

And those unique moments are worth today's asking price... each : Just remember to film them 😉

I couldn't agree with this perspective at all. We shouldn't encourage publishers to produce half baked short duration experiences in place of games with proper length, narrative, design, etc. Anything else is basically a nice demo that shouldn't cost a thing. Amusement park rides are generally cheap thrills and I expect more from a gaming experience that involves so much up front investment. It's telling that Affected: The Manor was originally a mobile phone game. 

Qba73
Protege
Having a weird issue with this game,

running on 1080gtx i7 6700k ..all other games run smooth 90fps solid (robo recall, chronos, adrift, solus) but when I start this game up get serious camera jitter/stutter and it crashes when I loading start game...

have tried another tip from reddit of setting audio to rift only but no go, have tried reinstalling game, no go, restarting oculus, no go...am scratching my head here.

have 1080 at max performance setting, latest drivers, sensors all on 3.0

anyone have any insight? thanks 🙂
I9 13900k @ 6.0ghz AC (water), Asus Z690 Apex, 64gb gskill 5800 DDR5, Aorus 4090 Waterforce @ 3ghz

Qba73
Protege
ok update I figured it out not only does audio mirroring need to be off, you have to set rift headphones as default device in windows.

once I did that runs flawlessly, but definitely needs a patch to correct that bug.

now if I could only get the flashlight to work..lol
I9 13900k @ 6.0ghz AC (water), Asus Z690 Apex, 64gb gskill 5800 DDR5, Aorus 4090 Waterforce @ 3ghz

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's a strange audio issue, and shouldn't be happening. Let me see if I can reproduce.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cybereality
Grand Champion
I just tried it. I'm not hearing any issues with the sound. I tried with both Rift only audio option and both (with my Windows default sound set to speakers) and there was no problem.

Qba73
Protege
wasn't issue with sound it was whenever I tried starting game it would be jittery like 10fps jittery and then would crash trying to actually start game past the menu. Only way I could fix it was setting the rift headphones as default windows playback device. (as per another person who was having same issue on reddit) then it ran flawless maxed out.

However with my speakers as default playback in windows, slideshow then CTD.

here was the fix I had used so maybe isolated issue with certain setups..

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5z2s3q/affected_the_manor_crash/

this is the error in the crash log for affected..

"Error setting active audio output driver. Falling back to default"

also attached is the output log from the game.

casyi
Explorer
I keep seeing this one in my Oculus Home as recommended. I'm such a wuss for horror in VR though :sweat:

We are Cas & Chary. Two girls who love VR gaming. Our goal is to help push VR forward and give it the support it deserves. Support us by subscribing: https://www.youtube.com/c/caschary