cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alien Isolation Rift Scale Issue [Maybe Fixed]

Simpanra
Honored Guest
So, if you are reading this you are either curious, have a fix, or are looking for one.

The issue I am talking about is something that a fair few of us are suffering (myself included) which is that the scale of the world around us in Alien Isolation feels wrong, everything feels too small.

The problem isn't to do with the character being too tall however, as I have walked her around and she is still the correct scale in respect to the seemingly tiny world she inhabits, rather, everything needs to be scaled up (IMO).

The Theories;

Currently there are two theories that I have heard for this issue, though sadly neither has helped towards a fix as of yet.

FOV is wrong

and

IPD is wrong.

Either of the above may be true, however we won't know for sure without further testing and feedback from the community. If you would like to help us fix this issue I need to know a few things from you all.

Please answer all of the below questions as well as posting whatever comment you wish to;

1) Are you suffering the scale issue (if no please continue to answer questions anyway).
2) What Processor do you have?
3) What is your IPD?
4) How are you running the game (command lines?) and what is in the edited section of your XML?
5) Roughly, how much smaller does the world feel than it should be? (2 times smaller, 5 times smaller etc)
6) What peripheral devices do you have connected? (Just generic names such as numpad, gamepad, joystick, webcam, etc)
7) What operating system are you using?
😎 Did you encounter any other problems with the VR Alien Isolation experience?

Thank you all for your help!
46 REPLIES 46

TrancerSpacey
Protege
Yeah, me too. Because of this it would be so cool, when SEGA make this VR-Patch official and impliment some tweaks for FOV, IPD and perhaps a slightly bigger font size. I don't think to enhance ingame menue with this adjustment settings is hard or difficult.

In my opinion Alien Isolation would be a system seller for the Rift. Even at this state of developement.

TrancerSpacey
Protege
By the way: Downsampling with the new Nvidia drivers really enhance the graphics of this game. Unfortunately it has like the FOV change only an effect, when you play it on a monitor. But it runs smooth there, even with the highest downsampling setting. Would be so cool to have this on the Rift. Eleminates the poor AA-flickering nearly completely. But I guess it's to demanding for vr use or stereoskopic rendering.

richhard1
Protege
Have you tried deleting your ipd profile?
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

TrancerSpacey
Protege
No, I didn't. You mean chaning the value in the Oculus Control in the taskbar? I will try this later, thanks. I hope this will help!

EDIT: I tested it but unfortunately changing my ipd-setting in the oculus configuration menue doesn't have an effect. With a new profile for testing there was also no changing.

grammatonfeather
Explorer
"Simpanra" wrote:
So, if you are reading this you are either curious, have a fix, or are looking for one.

The issue I am talking about is something that a fair few of us are suffering (myself included) which is that the scale of the world around us in Alien Isolation feels wrong, everything feels too small.

The problem isn't to do with the character being too tall however, as I have walked her around and she is still the correct scale in respect to the seemingly tiny world she inhabits, rather, everything needs to be scaled up (IMO).

The Theories;

Currently there are two theories that I have heard for this issue, though sadly neither has helped towards a fix as of yet.

FOV is wrong

and

IPD is wrong.

Either of the above may be true, however we won't know for sure without further testing and feedback from the community. If you would like to help us fix this issue I need to know a few things from you all.

Please answer all of the below questions as well as posting whatever comment you wish to;

1) Are you suffering the scale issue (if no please continue to answer questions anyway).
2) What Processor do you have?
3) What is your IPD?
4) How are you running the game (command lines?) and what is in the edited section of your XML?
5) Roughly, how much smaller does the world feel than it should be? (2 times smaller, 5 times smaller etc)
6) What peripheral devices do you have connected? (Just generic names such as numpad, gamepad, joystick, webcam, etc)
7) What operating system are you using?
😎 Did you encounter any other problems with the VR Alien Isolation experience?

Thank you all for your help!

I tried Alien Isolation with DK2 last night. Pretty much all my other Oculus Experiences have been great. AI was a big disappointment. The scaling is indeed all wrong. The world is too small and your face is 1 inch from any screen or console. It's bad design and I don't expect the developer to work on it at least for several years until they realise VR is a really big thing and don't want to be left behind. I'm not sure I can be bothered to edit the xml for this game. It had already irritated me long before oculus not being able to pick up weapons from enemies u kill. I find the crafting and hacking annoying too. Maybe I will give the FOV mod a try but I do find the game annoying to be honest.

NEO_RACER
Honored Guest
ok

bigmike20vt
Visionary
The thing is VR was dropped from alien isolation so us enabling it was very much using beta unfinished code.

I truly hope once vive and CV1 are out sega come back to it And implement some fixes as it is terrifying
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂