cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anarchy Arcade Steam CD Keys

smsithlord
Honored Guest
Anarchy Arcade will be released on Steam in a few short weeks, so today I am expanding the private Steam beta to anybody who would like to get an early look at the Steam build.

PM me for a Steam CD Key to unlock Anarchy Arcade today!

Anarchy Arcade is a 3D desktop. It is intended to be launched when you start your computer, and remain open all day long.

CymaticBruce tried out the prototype many months ago on his stream and I saw some of the VR bugs for the first time.

Since then, I got a DK1 and fixed the VR-game-breaking issues (among many other things.)

You should be able to use the Internet Databases spawner as well as browse local files now, all from within the Oculus.

However, as you know the Oculus Rift is still unable to display standard non-VR windows, so any other programs/games/links that you launch that open in other programs will run on your standard monitor.

If you have any questions, I have answers, so just let me know. The big Steam release is right around the corner! I had to change my development plans around after my Kickstarter failed to raise the money to buy a license, but the Steam release will still be the biggest & best release yet!

FYI, playing back local video files in-game on the virtual screens is only a step away, but not implemented in the Steam build yet.

Anarchy Arcade contains no unlicensed copyrighted material (other than the "Message of the Day" background) and does not use peer-to-peer file sharing or screen sharing, so the chances of people using it to commit piracy are low (which is a concern for these types of programs). Instead it aims to playback everybody's PERSONAL copies of media in a synchronized fashion to give the appearance of these 2 very powerful technologies without all the potential for people to exploit it for piracy.

Elijah Newman-Gomez AKA SM Sith Lord
Twitter: @AnarchyArcade
Email: newman@smsithlord.com

I have a limited amount of CD Keys before I have to request more, so I will be giving them out on a first-come-first-served basis.

*NOTE THAT LAUNCHING OTHER VR EXPERIENCES FROM WITHIN ANARCHY ARCADE HAS NOT BEEN TESTED*
3 REPLIES 3

DarrenM
Explorer
I tried SMARCADE: Anarchy Edition a while back and I have a question. Why is there a content unlocking system? It makes absolutely zero sense for this type of application.

It seemed like it could have been a really cool virtual home but it's crippled by having to place 40 objects I'm not interested in to try to unlock the ones I want to use.

smsithlord
Honored Guest
Thanks for the feedback DarrenM.

First of all, the first map now comes fully-stocked with a bunch of your Steam games already spawned in it to give you a running start.

The content unlocking system is to help new players understand what Anarchy Arcade is all about.

In earlier betas, players were given ALL the cabinets, props, and other items at the very start. Generally, this seemed to overwhelm the players and confuse them as to what the point of AArcade is.

So instead, you are awarded points for doing certain actions within the virtual world. The actions that give points teach essential skills needed for players to have a relaxing & easy-going experience in their new 3D desktop for years to come.

You get points for: importing new games/movies/media into your library, customizing cabinets with video trailers and marquee images, launching & playing your other games, etc.

That's who Anarchy Arcade is for; people who want a 3D desktop. On the other hand, there are people who really just want a 3D sandbox they can spawn models in. AArcade does function for this pretty well, but it can't stack up to better programs like Garry's Mod.

Early tests showed people who were most interested in spawning all the different models saw AArcade as a crappy version of Garry's Mod and quit using it soon after; some of whom never understanding what AArcade is actually capable of.

So the model unlocking system provides a learning curve that forces the player to understand that AArcade is about the games/movies/media you launch from it, not the 3D models you use to represent them.

If you want to check out all the cool 3D models I worked so hard on, you can use cheat codes to unlock them right away in Anarchy Arcade, or grab the Garry's Mod versions of the cabinets that I release onto the GMod workshop.

DarrenM
Explorer
Ok NP. I came to it after using Playstation Home so I guess I was just expecting that style of environment/system with VR support 🙂