cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archaeological/Photogrammetry Showcase

nazg
Honored Guest
Hi fellow VR enthusiasts,

With the recent release of UE4 to the public (I'm not a big fan of Unity to be honest), I took a few days to setup a little showcase about what can be done with this incredible tool (even if it took me more time to overcome technical problems regarding packaging and VS2013 express...than to make the showcase itself).

Download : Mega Link

This is my first demo, and I am using a lot of assets from the various marketplace showcases as you will see. But you can expect more personnal and polished productions in a very near future. It follows my previous post about VR and cultural heritage : https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7835

- I used photogrammetric data, both objects and field. I reworked them (reducing, healing, uv mapping, etc...) but I think I can do a lot better. As for now, the integration is "artisanal", and the engine is not very happy !
- I used laser scan data, which is far worse to handle than photogrammetric data, but I will get around somehow with my colleagues experts in Lidar data processing.

Regarding FPS improvement, I would suggest to read : http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/24g92u/guide_to_getting_good_fps_and_quality_in_ue4/

Anyway, with my rig (i5 2500k@4,3 ghz / 16 gig memory / SSD / gtx 680) I nearly doubled my FPS with this settings :

#when you are in game, use "~" to show up the console, then type this in the right order#
oculusdev on
hmdwarp 1=1
hmdwarp s=1.3
hmd sp 100

You can play around with "hmdwarp s", from 1.2 to 1.5 I would say, it's more about comfort than fps.
hmd sp is more important, I think with the actual oculus resolution, between 80 and 120 is fine in this demo (you will notice some blur at the back of the room, but with the pixel density of the screen, it's already blurry...)
4 REPLIES 4

drash
Heroic Explorer
That was a pretty nice demo, once I got the graphics set up per your instructions. Hopefully the extreme blurriness of the default settings won't be a barrier to people experiencing the rest of the demo. I enjoyed the different soundtracks for the different areas as it played with my emotions. 🙂

Thanks for the education!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

nazg
Honored Guest
Yes, as for now, we can manage the blurriness because of the low resolution. It's the easy way to get around the fps problem, but I'm more worried about the DK2 and CR1.

Even if I make a lot of effort into reducing the "weight" of photogrammetric and laser scan data, I really can't see how to manage a steady 60 fps framerate in HD using UE4. Maybe with the next generation of graphic cards, I'm kinda a nvidia fanboy and the next Maxwell chipset seems to be a real improvement after 2 or 3 generations of relative "stagnation".

Regarding the demo itself, I feel the pop-up texts are kinda wrong for the DK1 resolution, it's hard to read if you are not very close. Feel free to share your impressions/idea !

For the next "step", I'm looking forward to work at the city scale. In VR it's all about immersion, and even more about size. Unlike any other medium, you are really feeling the size of your environment, and I want to emphasize that. So I will pull out a roman city for which we have a bunch of data, and extrapolate simple elevation for the houses and so on...using a limited number of assets, maybe in conjunction with more detailed models for relevant public buildings.
I want to make this quick, not the utopia to restore a full city with all its details for now.

I am also thinking about moving the assets of a roman sanctuary to UE4 engine. I have been working on it for 2 years now, mainly about the architectural reconstruction, it's about time to unleash it to the public.

nazg
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:
That was a pretty nice demo, once I got the graphics set up per your instructions. Hopefully the extreme blurriness of the default settings won't be a barrier to people experiencing the rest of the demo. I enjoyed the different soundtracks for the different areas as it played with my emotions. 🙂

Thanks for the education!

I didn't notice you were the guy from Titan of space (I'm blind, I know !).
Sir, it was one of my first demo in the rift, and one of the greatest experience I have ever had with it. So, thank you.
Luckily I'm not susceptible to VR sickness, etc... But Titan of space was the one demo which triggered an anxiety attack, when we get out of the solar system, the size of the biggest stars of the universe was unsustainable. I felt so absurdly small, and thinking about the size of those monsters (canis majoris I hate you) still give me the creeps 😛 !

drash
Heroic Explorer
"nazg" wrote:
Regarding the demo itself, I feel the pop-up texts are kinda wrong for the DK1 resolution, it's hard to read if you are not very close. Feel free to share your impressions/idea !

True, I did have to approach them a little closely to read it clearly (with the s=1.3, sp 100 options) -- and then the problem is that many of those text popups are too wide to comfortably read. If there's a way to shorten the width, and/or increase their scale slightly so that you don't have to get so close in order to read, that could go a long way. Right now it's a little bit of a distraction that might take away from reading and learning.

Sorry my demo gave you the creeps! It sounds like it was a good thing though. 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com