cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assetto Corsa @ x2.0 SS and 45fps - Looks and plays good, isn't that all that matters?

Sitruz
Protege
Hey all,

Been having trouble with Dirt Rally of late. My i5 / GTX1080 doesn't seem to be able to be able to get me a steady enough game without setting it at 45fps (and even then I get a few immersion kicking stutters).

Thought I'd try Assetto Corsa. WOW! Its soooo purdy.  😄 I've notice I can run it fine on pretty much Ultra settings (except reflections which I turn down and Post Processing off) @ 1.7 SS and get mostly 89fps with the occasional drop to 45fps every so often.

So I tried Natural Graphics Mod (post processing) which gives some stunning weather visuals, but with PP on I'm running constantly at 45fps. Even at 45fps though it looked and seemed to me butter smooth, so I cranked up the SS to x2.0 and WOW the in-game is amazing!

All this is just me on my own having a quick blast around the tracks, so I know I'll have to reel in the SS when there's other drivers on the track. When I drop out and check my CPU and GPU performance it's only hitting 50% (presumably because of the limiting to 45fps). 

So, is there anything wrong with running it so high and only getting 45fps when visually to me it's stunning and I don't notice any stuttering? I'm always chasing the elusive 90fps, but does it really matter? I've seen it running at 90fps and it didn't seem any smoother to me, just visually less stunning because I had to reduce the graphics to get it.

Cheers all.
14 REPLIES 14

pyroth309
Visionary

Sharpfish said:

And Nvidia's there telling us Pascal just can't be beat... while holding back VOLTA thanks to AMD being poor again :((( - even a 1080ti isn't delivering everything we could want in VR, and that's still on gen1/low res. 😞 

Nvidia - you are taking the piss, but yeah.. I'll still buy ya next gen.

@Sharpfish Well to be fair, Nvidia isn't holding it back as much as they're no longer rushing it. They were going to rush it out the door for Xmas if Vega came in like gangbusters but since Vega seems to be a fart in the wind, it's back to the normal schedule. Hopefully that will mean better optimized drivers for release and less bugs/glitches. 

Sitruz
Protege
Been tinkering with Assetto Corsa and it turns out the Nvidia control panel had a bunch of global 3d settings that I definitely can't remember setting. I wiped them all back to Nvidia default, and now I'm getting constant 90fps on hot laps with SS @ 1.8 and settings pretty much as my original post.

So the problem now is I've moved on from hot lapping and wanted to get into some races, but I can't get it at playable level. I've reduced the SS down to 1.3, and all the settings to mostly Low or Very Low. I'm trying with 15 cars on the track and I can't break 45fps. I also tried turning off post processing, but it gave me a worse rate.

I'm running a GTX 1080, i5-4690K and 8Gb Ram.

What sort of settings are you guys running for races (not hot lapping)? How many opponents? Whats are your system specs to achieve?

Anonymous
Not applicable

look at running Content Manager for AC, it's an alternative launcher and has a few more inbuilt gfx options to tweak the most out of the game to get the higher fps... I'm pretty conservative with my gfx settings but I run post processing enabled and still get ~90fps when solo and it drops to 45fps when starting a mp race (+15 drivers)
i7 7700 @ 4.8GHz
gtx980ti hybrid
16GB DDR4

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
The big drawback with turning post-processing off in AC is that the opponents cars brake lights become invisible (unless they have fixed it lately)...I believe they are linked directly to PP.
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

diogofigueiredo
Protege

CodeTen68 said:

The big drawback with turning post-processing off in AC is that the opponents cars brake lights become invisible (unless they have fixed it lately)...I believe they are linked directly to PP.

You can see them, but they are faint. There's no "light glow" effect.
Owner of a DK2 since October 2014. Anxiously waiting for the delivery of the CV1.