cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jonesonradio
Honored Guest

Every result that I’ve seen regarding this issue tells me that there are no pre assigned gender roles for avatars and that they’re all gender neutral and it’s just a matter of adjusting to make my avatar look like me. This is just simply not true. I picked the wrong face type I guess and now my avatar is perpetually a woman. Posed with a hand on their hip and the other hand dangling. The avatar in question literally has breasts and all the clothing options are female clothing. Call me crazy but bikinis are not male clothing options. I’ve seen other avatars, specifically MALE avatars, and they all pose in a different way with both arms down at their sides and rather than bikinis and tube tops they get options like t shirts and jeans and shorts. I do not want my avatar to be a woman. I don’t care how many times you tell me they’re gender neutral. They’re not. My avatar is a woman and I want to change it and the fact that I can’t is ridiculous. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The_1st_Dark_Lord_Morgoth
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey guys. This thread seems to be getting a little out of hand with avatar creation. If users want to have more masculine features, there are options for masculine-style clothing, hair, and facial features that can help show your masculinity. At the end of the day, our virtual characters are a way for all sorts of people to explore their personal style and express who they are. Having the option to pick any style of clothing, regardless of gender, gives everyone the creative freedom to be who they want.

If you want to see more physical masculine options available for your avatar, I suggest posting in the Ideas Page of the forums in a respectful way. Other users and developers are able to share their suggestions with each other, and we've even seen some ideas later implemented in past updates.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The force shall free me.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

GhostRider2k2
Honored Guest

Yeah I'm a white Man and they didn't have any Avatars that even resembled me a little.  I didn't make a Avatar, my wife got me the Oculus Quest 2 for Christmas. I find it awesome! Love the golf game and Resident Evil is awesome.

PancakesPK
Honored Guest

I agree, I picked a starting avatar with facial hair. But the pose is feminine and there are no male clothing options, everything is dresses, low v shirts, skirts, and short shorts. They say it's all gender neutral which everything is except the pose and clothing. I didn't mess up and select a female at start, the avatar had a mustache and facial hair, it was male. Can anyone please help us. 

striecx
Honored Guest

Hey I am a latin american I selected Male but my avatar poses with hand on the hip which breaks my immersion as I don't identify as a affeminate perdon Can you please add the option of changing poses I would take a T pose instead of that. Also that smug smile looks too unrepresentative of my latin american culture.

AliceinVRworld
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Completely agree! I also recommend posting this in out Ideas Forum! We for sure need more poses that identify us! 

We are all mad here.

KLiFF2023
Honored Guest

I have the same issue. I currently can not use the avatar and I will definately not use them or promote them. I've tried to set mine on Whatsapp, the first one was good, I'm male with a beard. When I try to cusomtize its clothes it gives rather weired options. Dresses, tops, bikinis, etc. Not only the clothes are gender agnostic (which would be a bug on the system) but it is clearly not appropriate for large audience. See attached picture, it shows a man with a beard and women leggins and lingery! This can not be acceptable.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-22 at 11.14.33.jpeg

Hi there @KLiFF2023! We totally get how complicated setting up your avatar might be, and want to make sure you can get the full access to the available options! Currently, there is not a specific gender assigned to the avatars, as they all start as a gender neutral base avatar. From here, users like yourself can choose between different body types that appear more feminine or masculine, and there are some facial features and details that can be considered traditional gender indicators. In your screenshot showing the outfit page, you should be able to scroll down to see all of the options there. Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

zhunterw
Honored Guest

I’ve tried every outfit and body type and my avatar still has women breasts…I’m a dude. All outfits look feminine. My avatar looks like it would drive a Subaru Forrester…

warrenEBB
Protege

" they all start as a gender neutral base avatar" then you "can choose between different body types that appear more feminine or masculine."
So can you label these? It is not clear to me which is which.
My coworkers make fun of me each week for having breasts, or looking weird because my eyes or cheeks or hair or skin do not match my real world appearance enough. I've come to dread going back to the avatar editor week after week to try again, because it's seems impossible to use (or purposefully broken?). It seems you've removed features from your tool to encourage bullying and embarrassment, then tell us it's enlightened and neutral so it is not your fault that I cannot represent myself.
Maybe the problem is how the choices are not clearly labeled, and there is no filtering, and it is very difficult to accurately preview anything from the flat images. (i appreciate "going to the mirror" but still find it doesn't match appearance in horizon workroom meetings). 

acem77
Protege

Why can't I pick something that looks like a man, a biological man that went through puberty and became an adult. Every version of The Avatar looks like a Pat from Saturday night live. this world so crazy we can't have true binary genders. Are you going to hurt someone's feeling because you give options for male or female. This world is going insane