cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't login to YouTube VR with a family-managed Google account

nathan6412happy
Honored Guest

My son has an Oculus Quest 2, and we installed the YouTube VR app on it.

He would like to log into his YouTube account so he can access his subscriptions, recommended videos, etc.

Try as I might, I just cannot get the YouTube VR app to log in using his account. My personal YouTube account works fine. His however does not. His account is managed by me through Google Family Link. He is 13, so I don't think the age is an issue, and I've tried lifting any and all restrictions I seem to have control over and nothing seems to make a difference, unless I'm missing something.

I've been through the process several times over... logging in on a desktop PC, activating the account for YouTube VR... and his account just fails to log in. It very briefly says the login was successful, but then pops up a new activation code and the account never actually shows up. When I add MY account, I can see it in the accounts list, and then there's a spot below it where his account should be listed, and it just says "This action isn't allowed" and "Tap to retry"

I realize Oculus probably can't support this app as it's made by Google? But I expect I'm more likely to get a response here than I am from YouTube/Google. I've been searching everywhere I can think and can't seem to find any useful information, and I've spent over half a day stuck on this. Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey there @nathan6412happy and @plchavez, and thank you both for reaching out to the community with your issue! We can certainly understand being a bit frustrated when one account works and another will not, we've been there enough ourselves, so we totally get it. Have you seen any other similar behavior with logins with any applications besides the YouTube app? While we can only speculate at what the true underlying issue might be, we suspect you may be on to something with the management restrictions. We definitely recommend reaching out to YouTube Help to see what they have to say on the topic and for any fixes or workarounds that might apply. We're hoping for a quick and happy turnaround on this for you both, and please don't hesitate to reach out to the community with any questions or issues in the future, we're all here to help!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

javicoizquierdo
Honored Guest

I'm having the exact same problem with my two sons' Google accounts. 

suzanne.glenn.568
Honored Guest

Having this same issue with my nephew.  Have they gotten back to you regarding this?

Thank you.

plchavez
Honored Guest

Did they ever respond back about this? I am having the same issue

Hey there @nathan6412happy and @plchavez, and thank you both for reaching out to the community with your issue! We can certainly understand being a bit frustrated when one account works and another will not, we've been there enough ourselves, so we totally get it. Have you seen any other similar behavior with logins with any applications besides the YouTube app? While we can only speculate at what the true underlying issue might be, we suspect you may be on to something with the management restrictions. We definitely recommend reaching out to YouTube Help to see what they have to say on the topic and for any fixes or workarounds that might apply. We're hoping for a quick and happy turnaround on this for you both, and please don't hesitate to reach out to the community with any questions or issues in the future, we're all here to help!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I have the same issue on the Quest 3. After it says successfully logged in, the code refreshes in YouTube VR and the account is not logged in.

EDIT: I heard back from YouTube VR support.

I'm afraid VR is not a supported device for Family Link supervised accounts. For a child's device, Family Link works with the following devices:
Android devices with Android 5.1 and up.
Chromebooks with Chrome OS version 71 and up
Pixel tablets with Android 13 and up.