cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy games from one machine to another without redownloading?

JoshuaJSlone
Expert Protege
Steam has a backup/restore feature, but it's also possible to just copy the game directory from one computer to another as long as you also copy the appropriate .acf file so it knows the game is supposed to be installed. Are there similar procedures with Oculus? I'd like to know if I can download things on my laptop in places with fewer bandwidth restrictions, or bring the headset and some games to a friend's house without lugging my whole machine around.
10 REPLIES 10

FX2K
Heroic Explorer
This article should help 😉

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1715420212071737/

Make sure you grab all the redistributables though, the folder seems to be shared between numerous games. If you don't, the game will fail to finish installing.. I found that out first hand and had to redownload a few gb.
CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May... DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014

JoshuaJSlone
Expert Protege
Ahh, that seems just what I was looking for. Thanks.

TheUnknownParas
Sightseer
That page is gone now. any wya you can describe that/ I have the same problem

ssamayoa
Honored Guest
I just wonder the same but as TheUnknownParasite said the page was gone.
Somebody have the info how to do the copy?
Regards!

EDIT:
I got the page from Web Archive.

cybereality
Grand Champion
See here, it's been updated.
https://support.oculus.com/190738628001661/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Nij
Heroic Explorer
I don't think reinstalling your games is that much of an issue, it's the fact what I dread the most, which has happened to me before is you totally lose your progress on all your games, meaning you would have to start again on all said  games which I wouldn't wanna do and probably just not play them again, surely it must save your game somewhere if it doesn't save it in the cloud 
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

cybereality
Grand Champion
Oh, yeah. I should have mentioned. Outside of a few games that support cloud saves, most of the titles save onto your local computer (for example, in your Windows user AppData or Documents folders). So moving to a new computer you will lose all your progress, even if you backup the games themselves.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Nij
Heroic Explorer

Hicybereality said:

Oh, yeah. I should have mentioned. Outside of a few games that support cloud saves, most of the titles save onto your local computer (for example, in your Windows user AppData or Documents folders). So moving to a new computer you will lose all your progress, even if you backup the games themselves.

Can we locate the save games in app data or is every game different 
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

IRONHATEN
Honored Guest

Quick and Easy Solution:

1. Copy 1 or as many game folders from Software folder (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\Software) There are two software folders, pick the second one that has your games in it.

2. Paste game folders into Staging(C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\Staging) I may be wrong about this, but in my experience the staging folder is where your games download before they go into your Software folder.

3. Open oculus home from your desktop. Click Install on the app you want, it will take a couple of minuets and then it should be successfully installed.

Let me know if this works for you or anyone else who is having troubles transferring games.