cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovering Space 2 now available as early access.

siphi
Honored Guest
Hi Guys,

For those who have followed and enjoyed Solar System explorer on the DK1, Discovering Space on the DK2,  you will be pleased to hear that my latest and greatest offering in the series (aptly named Discovering Space 2) is now available for DK2 and CV1 (built to 1.3).

For those who haven't experience any of this series, Discovering Space 2 is a free form space exploration experience, which lets you explore the entire solar system in your own way.  Your ship is capable of anything from gentle exploration to speed of light travel, as well as having access to a network of jump-gates to quickly transport between planets.  

This isn't however just a build with the latest runtimes.  It has had a complete overhaul of most of the key aspects of the experience, and stands alone as a new experience.
  • Planetary detail – terrain, textures, atmosphere, through new custom shaders. See Earth and Moon, Mars and Titan for examples of what is to come for all the other planets and moons.
  • Graphical optimisations to enable cranking up rendering sub-sampling (which has a profound effect on DK2).
  • Audio richness – engines, ship, environment and background music all improved.
  • Planet sizes more correct, distances much greater.
  • Propulsion model enhanced (to cope with the larger distances).
  • Cockpit displays / HUD enable easier navigation.
  • Near speed of light effects – Red shift, view contraction and “headlight” effect.
  • Jump gates / hyperspace effects enhanced.
  • Re-entry effects through the atmosphere.
  • Subtle sunset and sunrise when in orbit around a planet.
  • Graphical optimisations to enable cranking up rendering sub-sampling (which has a profound effect on DK2).
  • General polish, feel and thrill to the experience.

You can find out more information here ...
http://www.theriftarcade.com/discoveringspace-2-launches-as-early-access-for-the-oculus-rift/
    and join the early access program here ...
    http://theriftarcade.com/downloads/product/discoveringspace2/
    • Experience the best space exploration experience for VR.
    • Help me with direction for the experience.  What do YOU want to see.  What do YOU want to explore.
    • Contribute with your own ideas / assets.  If you want to put your own 3d model into the game, then come up with reason of why it should be there, send me the model and it can go in.
    • Help me find the glitches.
    • You will receive new versions of the experience for no additional cost, even as it develops into a full blown title at a higher price.

Please don't be afraid to jump in and support us independent developers !

Thanks

-Simon

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Looks promising.

VRsteve
    Expert Protege
    Downloading now, Will report back with a report. Hopefully it will be a good report.

Vilar
    Honored Guest
    I had the original version of this and loved it, my favorite app so far. It quit working with the Oculus upgrades so I was VERY happy to find that Simon has released this new version. I sent him my $14 as soon as I read this and spent last night with this new version. Overall it is still a really great app and the nav controls are incredible!

Have a couple of problems with the new version in that I can't get the "A" button to work on my xbox controller (I am using DK2). The joysticks and triggers work and I can highlight items on the control panel by looking at them, but I cannot activate them by pressing "A" as I used to on the first version. This may be something I am doing wrong but I haven't found it yet. Also, it doesn't show up in Home, not sure it is suppose to yet. But still an incredible way to explore the solar system.

BTW, this is a real review, I do not know the author of this app at all.

Windows 10
    DK2
    Leapmotion Orion (not needed for this)
    XBox controller
    GeForce GTX 770 (75fps in this app)

shagrag
    Honored Guest
    I had the same problem too, button A on the xbox controller wouldn't work, in the end I had to remap it, which is done from the main menu. Great experience though! cant wait to see new updates 🙂

Vilar
    Honored Guest

shagrag said:

I had the same problem too, button A on the xbox controller wouldn't work, in the end I had to remap it, which is done from the main menu. Great experience though! cant wait to see new updates 🙂

Thanks. That helped. Not sure I had to remap it as much as just reset it. Really an incredible experience. If you haven't already, when you leave the space dock slow down and do a 180 to look at the space station you just exited. I had missed that in my rush to speed out to the planets.

shagrag
    Honored Guest

Vilar said:

shagrag said:

Thanks. That helped. Not sure I had to remap it as much as just reset it. Really an incredible experience. If you haven't already, when you leave the space dock slow down and do a 180 to look at the space station you just exited. I had missed that in my rush to speed out to the planets.

Yes it really is incredible! the attention to detail really makes this, I love the effects when entering the planets atmosphere and the little things like been able to see your breath when coming out from the jump-gates!
    Looking forward to new updates and hopefully new ships 🙂