Discovering Space - [RELEASED - 26th OCTOBER]

siphi
Honored Guest
NOW RELEASED - FULL VERSION AND DEMO AVAILABLE

Discovering Space - Release - 64bit. : RELEASED 26 October 2014

http://theriftarcade.com/market/downloads/discovering-space-demo/

a full demo is also available at the same location

Discovering Space - Demo - 64bit. : RELEASED 25 October 2014

The demo is FULLY FUNCTIONAL, and contains almost all elements of the full product.

• New ship
• Launch Hangar
• Improved ship displays panels / interaction
• Performance optimisations
• User selectable game preferences (gfx effects)
• Numerous subtle improvements / effects

Demo limitations
• Exploration limited to the local Earth and Moon system.
• Jump gates disabled.

This is using SDK 0.4.2, so may still have some glitches, however I was happy with it before 0.4.3 was released last night.

I would appreciate any comments or bug reports.

Enjoy.

The full game contains
• The full solar system to explore - planets, moons.
• Unlimited range.
• Full use of jump-gate system.
• Full narrative content - discover and learn as you go.
• Two spacecraft - single seater and full luxury ship with selectable passenger.
• More hidden objects to find.

Control: Best suited to X-box control pad.

xbox 360 controller.png

keyboard_mapping.png

Comments and questions welcome.

-Simon Phillips (SiPhi)
180 REPLIES 180

DutchVR
Honored Guest
I had yesterday a lot of fun with this demo, but just like some other people it won't start anymore. I also put the vsync option to 1 but I can't seem to change this anymore (opening the game in a window just says vsync=0).

This is the error output (partially):

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index is less than 0 or more than or equal to the list count.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.ArrayList.ThrowNewArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.String name, System.Object actual, System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityScript.Lang.Array.get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HolosphereMap.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I even removed all the files, removed the register entry but nothing solves the issue.

ubtri
Honored Guest
"siphi" wrote:
Guys,

Thanks for all your comments over the past few days. It seems most of you have a work-around that enables this to work. I've seen some excellent comments and video reviews and in all it the experience seems to have converted to DK2 pretty well.

However, there are a number if issues I still need to address before I have happy with the conversion, which I plan to address once my DK2 lands on my doorstep. The good news (for me) is that I am in the next batch 😄 with my order moving to "Processing" overnight; having ordered a few minutes too late to be in the first batch :roll: .

So, hopefully at least this will allow a lot of the main (crashing) issues to be dealt with.

However there are still issues with the current SDK which is limiting some of the effects. Some of these issues have workarounds which I hope to implement when I am able to test it out, but the predominant remaining issue is with the lighting and shadows ... many of you who haven't played the DK1 version don't yet realise how cool it is to see your own shadow on the side of the ship and the sense it gives when it follows your (head) movement. I now have the added challenge of positional tracking to deal with, which will move your whole upper body, but that's just a bit of Inverse Kinematics to learn :?

Then after that, it is a question of finding a hosting space capable of supporting the number of downloads :oops: , continuing to add the content, and improving the spacecraft models a bit more.

Watch this space (no pun intended).

Glad to hear your DK2 is on the way! I'm pretty excited to see what you do for the next release! Seriously, this is my favorite demo so far. If you can pull off some higher resolution textures for the planets/moons, and add more atmospheres for us to enter, I'd suggest you put this up on kickstarter for completion funding! 😉

SorciumGames
Explorer
Got it working using -force-d3d11 and the DirectToRift version. It was fantastic! My new favorite experience in VR: flying around Saturn rings. Kind of bouncing on them as you zoom around the planet. Thanks for the demo!

siphi
Honored Guest
my DK2 arrived today 😄 The -force-d3d11 flag worked a treat.

The sunlight is bright ... The darkness is amazing ... The glow from the Milky Way is glorious ... and the resolution enough to make the stars like ... well ... :shock:

2001_design.gif

Very Happy 😄

tiko257
Honored Guest
Awesome demo!! ... I tried it yesterday and it was jaw dropping! , the only comments I have are that the planets feel a little small and some occasional clipping with the players model; keep up the good work!.

siphi
Honored Guest
Teaser number 1 ...
i1.png
ex1.png
r1.png

TimeIsFading
Honored Guest
One of the best DK2 experiences yet!

As others have stated though, the fuel desperately needs to be increased or given an option for unlimited. I could barley make it to Jupiter on a full tank.

Quixotic7
Protege
This. Wow. This is the most incredible VR experience I've ever had! Thank you. I loved just chilling out with the space music and engine sounds as I cruised to the next planet. I had a few moments where I truly believed I was travelling through the solar system. Ran fine using DirectToRift with -force-d3d11. Looking forward to future updates! Would also gladly pay money for this. I'd love if you could orbit around a planet. Would also be awesome to have the passenger tell you information about the planet.

Shpinxis
Protege
I can't say how great this experience is. This is by far the best rift demo I have played and allows you to fully experience the rift and its capabilities. Thank you so much, keep it up!

pooky9123
Honored Guest
This is incredible. I put a bunch of Classical music tracks and flew around the Solar System, very indescribable experience. I also nearly shed a tear once. You really captured the feeling of the night sky.

However, there is an issue with lag. If I move my head, the ship seems to be in place, but the stars and planets lag behind, and it is very disorienting.

Also, I can't select Neptune (though that could mean it is not implemented yet).

I feel that Jupiter spins way too fast. I can also see stars behind the planets if I get close to them, like they are semi-transparent.

I can't go to the Moon's surface because the planet is moving even though my ship's speed is at 0. This happens with some moons, but not others.

Just a minor suggestion: There are little stars that are floating near the ship (which are understandably used to indicate the ship's movement), I would put an option to disable them (but of course keep the warp effect!). I feel seeing them makes the experience less realistic.

Really looking forward to the next update! Keep up the great work! 😄