cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolphin Emulator DK2 compatibility

lohan
Honored Guest
The title pretty much says it all. I would like to know if anyone here has already tried to run the dolphin emulator with the DK2. Some say it should work. If yes this one should give us hundreds of titles to try out during the "starving period" even if those Wii/Gamecube titles don't use the full potential of the DK2.
1,298 REPLIES 1,298

Anonymous
Not applicable
"charlton_3393" wrote:
Hey cegli,

Been using DolphinVR for a while now and just wanted to say what an amazing experience it has been trying all these classic games in VR! It truely astounds me even now haha.

Was just wondering what your thoughts are on the latest 0.7 SDK and Runtime release? How much of an impact will recompiling DolphinVR for 0.7 have on the experience? And whether DolphinVR will even be stable on 0.7?

Thanks! 🙂

He is at work 🙂
https://github.com/CarlKenner/dolphin/commits/VR-Hydra

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
Oh wow! Didn't even notice on the Github repository, he has been hard at work hasn't he? :lol:

Well... Now I am content, and a bit excited to play SMG2 again 😄
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
OK... Here's a release, v. 4.0-8949. It's probably super buggy, and I haven't really tested it, but you have been waiting long enough.

Built with SDK 0.6.0.1 and SteamVR, use this if you have Runtime 0.7

Built to use the Oculus 0.5 Runtime DLL and SteamVR, use this if you have an nvidia 5xx or below gra...

Let me know if you need a version built with a different SDK.

If you want to force it to use either Oculus or SteamVR, try these command line arguments:
dolphin.exe -steamvr
dolphin.exe -oculus

otherwise it will try Oculus first then try SteamVR if Oculus fails.

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
Awwwww Yeah!

Well done guys, super excited to try this out as soon as I get home! :lol: I was going to ask why you decided to build with 0.6 instead of 0.7, but I was smart enough to figure out some people still need extended mode haha.

Keep up the awesome work 😉
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"charlton_3393" wrote:
Awwwww Yeah!

Well done guys, super excited to try this out as soon as I get home! :lol: I was going to ask why you decided to build with 0.6 instead of 0.7, but I was smart enough to figure out some people still need extended mode haha.

Keep up the awesome work 😉

That's one reason. Another reason is that 0.6 has less changes for me to make than 0.7.

I did add 0.7 support tonight, but it is still buggy and needs some work.

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
Ah yeah, thought as much... With any update I guess there are always gonna be bugs, hopefully when they get to version 1.0 they will have everything pretty much set so no Major changes after that.

EDIT: Some Hours Later

Well after a few hours of testing I'd say direct mode works just as well as it did before, I have to run games at 75fps because if I select any of the 'Pullup' options the graphics start glitching and I get numerous errors, but every game I've tested runs great, a few slowdowns here and there but works just as well as it did before the new 0.7 SDK.

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7950
CPU: i7 4770
Runtime: 0.7

Games Tested:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
Lego Star Wars 2 (GC)
F-Zero GX (GC)
Simpsons Hit & Run (GC)
Simpsons Road Rage (GC)
Mario Kart (Wii)
Super Mario 64 (N64 VC)

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I just added a VR column to the game list in Dolphin VR, so people can see how well that game is supposed to work in VR, or sort their games by how well they work in VR.

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
"2EyeGuy" wrote:
I just added a VR column to the game list in Dolphin VR, so people can see how well that game is supposed to work in VR, or sort their games by how well they work in VR.

Oh awesome! Something like that will be quite useful to me haha.

I was also wondering 2EyeGuy, I'm not sure whether this is a bug and to be honest it is pretty picky... When I used to use the camera adjust hotkey's (Shift + W, A, S, D, =, -, ect..) on the older versions of DolphinVR, I used to be able to hold the hotkey's down and it would do the job much quicker, now in the latest version with 0.7 support I can't do that for some reason, If I click it it moves one step but if i continue to hold it down it doesn't register, I have to repetitively click the hotkey really fast to move the camera or change eye separation and doing that is really slow going.

If you could look into it that would be great 🙂

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
The reason is, they completely changed how hot-keys are implemented in the main Dolphin branch, and it broke how we were doing it, so I had to strip out our own Dolphin VR hotkey system and just use the main Dolphin one. I guess I should try to fix Dolphin's hotkey system so it has the same features that ours used to have.

BTW, I fixed most of the issues with trying to build with the 0.7 SDK. So when 0.8 comes out and 0.6 stops working, we will be ready for it.

eXntrc
Honored Guest
I really feel like I've just got to be missing something. I had Dolphin VR running buttery smooth before the update to 0.7. I've downloaded the 8949-06 build and I just can't come close to the performance I had before. I've done a full uninstall and reinstall of Dolphin VR too.

I'm testing with Super Mario Galaxy 2. The frame rate seems to hover around 48 FPS and of course there is judder. I'm running a 780 TI and I have it configured just the way I did before. I'm using Direct X and unlike others, I'm not having a black screen issue at all. Just bad performance. Open GL is actually much worse visually for me. The sky is mostly black and everything is lower res.

Charltron says everything is working for him as well as it did before 0.7. I'm not seeing that at all.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I'm actually teaching a VR crash course at University of Houston on Friday (day after tomorrow) and I was hoping to show off Dolphin VR as part of that day.

Thanks guys