cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous on R9 290

twisteklabs
Level 7
I loved to play EliteDangerous on DK2.
With Runtime 1.3, I already opened EliteDangerous Horizons title screen and played a little.
Now, with my Rift when I try to open EliteDangerous, it just crashed. Turns out my R9 290 graphics card can not handle VR with Elite.
The support page says that a minimum of GTX 980 is required for VR mode.
Just an FYI for all my elite playing friends waiting for their Rift headset, you may have to invest in a more powerful graphics card to play good AAA games with the Rift.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
5 REPLIES 5

Fredd32
Level 5
Did you try turning vr settings to "vr low"? There are multiple reports of people playing Elite with vr settings on "vr high" with only the gtx 970.

Devilstower
Level 5
I'm having no trouble with the 970. Very smooth play on vr high.

twisteklabs
Level 7
how do you set "vr low" before startup of the game?
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

twisteklabs
Level 7
Finally, patiently, struggling with very large lag, I got to Options -> Graphics -> presets -> VR Low.
Now it runs very smoothly at low res.
Back to playing Elite Dangerous, aaaaand the computer goes blank. Graphics card OC problem, have to lower settings.
Hey, now you know how to fix and play dangerously with r9 290 on Rift CV1.

Devilstower
Level 5
If it helps, here are my settings for the 970.
Display
3D: HMD [headphones]

Quality
Preset: Ultra
Model Draw Distance: Max
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Ultra
Bloom: Medium
Blur: On
FX: High