cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fallout 4 VR any good with a Geforce 1080?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Would you say Fallout 4 works well with a Geforce 1080 or will I need a Geforce 1080Ti? If it does work well with a Geforce 1080, is there any settings you recommend I reduce to get a better performance?
7 REPLIES 7

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Works fine on my GTX 1080. But super sampling 2.0 (=200%) is a no go, you'll need a 2080 Ti for that. I don't use any mods, you'll need to enable some anti-aliasing though or the image quality will be truly horrible (I think TAA was the best, but I haven't played the game for months). 

I use the SteamVR default setting for ss, which corresponds to ss 1.4 - maybe you can go higher - I don't have a problem using 45 fps ASW in this game. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RattyUK
Trustee
It plays well with default settings on the 1080 and can be modded resonably, as @RuneSR2  hints, supersampling will bring the card to its knees quite quickly.  (I assume you are talking about the VR version, I play the flat screen too (in 4K) without any noticable issues but I'm not claiming any frame rate above playable.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - Does Steam SS setting work for Oculus Rift or do I have to set the Oculus Tray tool to 1.4 to get SS in Fallout 4?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Does Steam SS setting work for Oculus Rift or do I have to set the Oculus Tray tool to 1.4 to get SS in Fallout 4?

Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) super sampling doesn't work in Steam (at least not the global value), only the OTT HUDs work. You'll have to set super sampling in SteamVR directly. Normally it's 100% (= 1.4 using OTT), and 200% is OTT 2.0. You could try something like 120% or maybe 140% and see how it goes. 
So you can use OTT to check that you're getting the correct ss, but you cannot set ss using OTT in FallOut 4 (at least not the last time I tried). 

You need to set ss here in Steam VR (choose FallOut 4):

It's quite a weird scale to convert to OTT - I think 120% was the same as ss 1.55. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, many have experienced problems with FallOut 4 like flickering textures and other errors - I've had no problems using Forceware 391.35. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - Does the Oculus debug tool work for setting SS in Steam, like pixel density set to 1.5 for Steam games?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Does the Oculus debug tool work for setting SS in Steam, like pixel density set to 1.5 for Steam games?

I've never really used the debug tool - I've more or less always used OTT. Normally I only use OTT for games/apps from the Oculus Store, and set up SteamVR for my Steam games/apps. Of course you could try the debug tool and see if ss transfers to StreamVR (I'm guessing that OTT and the debug tool are much similar and probably both won't work in SteamVR, but I'd love to be wrong).