cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic Subnautica Gameplay Video

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Don't know if you guys have seen this, but I stumbled across it this morning and was hooked:

https://youtu.be/bwi12tpZc2w

It's 8¼ hours long (22 episodes spliced together) so plan accordingly..

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
54 REPLIES 54

LZoltowski
Champion
Well, I just spent 40 mins watching this without realising! Its really well made and wants me to play the game now. The conversations are hilarious.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yeah, it caught me like that, too. I had a look as I'd just reinstalled the game and wanted to see what was new. However, found myself feeling just as sick as I used to in Subnautica VR - feeling rough, but able to hack it in half hour doses.

LZoltowski
Champion

Brixmis said:

Yeah, it caught me like that, too. I had a look as I'd just reinstalled the game and wanted to see what was new. However, found myself feeling just as sick as I used to in Subnautica VR - feeling rough, but able to hack it in half hour doses.

I bought the game just because of that video, I think I watched like another hour in bed last night. The concept is hilarious and genius at the same time, would make a great movie.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'm up to 3½ hours now - I noticed the title of the following video, episode 23, as "I Give Up".

Oh dear....

I have to say, this guy's experience in no way resembles my own, when I played this a few months back. I did things very differently. Very good for tips on where to find things, though - and above all very entertaining 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

Brixmis said:

I bought the game just because of that video, I think I watched like another hour in bed last night. The concept is hilarious and genius at the same time, would make a great movie.

I hope you have more luck than I have. My saved game has been ruined by a bug today and now I have to start from scratch again.

Looking through the discussions around the 'net, it looks like there are many issues with this game now (I never had any issues in the pre-release versions I have been playing over the last 3 years), one especially being performance, regardless of system spec. I've been seeing this, too, with stuttering, pop-up scenery and objects, and instant night/day cycles.

The dev's are getting a lot of stick.

Only 15 minutes left on this marathon video and I've watched it all 😛

LZoltowski
Champion
Best 8 hours of my life! They are doing more of them soon I believe. It was a relaxing watch and made me laugh out loud at times. Thanks for posting this.

Got the game, haven't started playing it yet, thanks for the heads up.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I need to return to Subnautica. I stopped playing after this thing ate me...

ppl7xf3pa2a9.jpg

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer
Subnautica is a awesome!

I rate it as the second most intense game I've played in VR so far (right after Alien Isolation VR).

There is to say, the VR conversion leaves a lot room for improvement. The interface needs a thorough polishing, is at times infuriating (e.g. the gaze based key selection on keypads) or simply non-functional (re-naming beacons).
Plus the game has a handful of non-VR-related technical issues as well.

But none of those issues are game breaking and if you can look past them you'll find a game that can immerse you for days in a fascinating, beautiful and at times terrifying world. The sound design is exceptional both in effects and soundtrack.
They also got the balance between survival, exploration, building and story line exactly right. I love how they just give you some vague hints but leave it to you to draw your own conclusions and don't just give you a pointer on the map (actually they don't even give you a map).

Recommended to all who love open world exploring and can stomach smooth stick-based turns and locomotion.

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer
@Zenbane  Whenever I'm terrified by the roar of a Reaper somewhere nearby I try to think of this picture I found on reddit. Helps a bit.   😉

97p2266tkdee.png

But there are bigger things lurking in the inky black waters of the depths below...