cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For some of us older gamers will there ever be something like Donkey Kong or Mario or just shooting

Panwan
Honored Guest

Some of us older gamers would like to see something like Donkey Kong or Mario. 

8 REPLIES 8

kojack
MVP
MVP

There's the classic Lucky's Tale that came out for the Rift CV1. It's pretty cool.

No native Quest version though and the developers dropped VR for the sequel. 😞

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

M0rdresh
Protege

While I enjoyed games like Lucky's Tale, I guess sitting down looking and playing flat (2D) content is not exactly embracing the core of VR. As in being inside a believable virtual word. So yeah, I can see how developers choose the later for new projects over the first.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I guess Moss would be another similar type of game--it's probably the most popular platformer for VR, and is available for both PC and Quest. Platformers may not be a big genre for VR, but there are certainly plenty of great games that aren't shooters. Some less violent games I've enjoyed include Eleven Table Tennis, Walkabout Mini Golf, Puzzling Places, Cubism, The Climb, Myst, Red Matter, Accounting+, Virtual Virtual Reality, Tilt Brush, Thumper, Ultra Wings, Echo VR... if you explore the store, there is a great variety of games that aren't shooters. (Although there are also several really fun shooters, too.)

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Lucky's Tale is great - some retro-like VR games may also include (note I own and have tested all the games below, I recommend them all - I've left out games mentioned in other posts):

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I still have my old Nintendo 64 and gameboys for all those super mario and Donkey Kong games, lol!  No need to VR those imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Yeah, I've never tired of emulators for my old favourite games, from the Spectrum and Atari St to the arcade classics, I'll stick to the monitor for those, and with a recently purchased original Competition Pro joystick to complete the jump back in time!

I have the MAME emulator and quite a lot of working roms, including the original versions of Donkey Kong and Mario. These games really work and look perfectly like the original arcade machines, but then again these are the original roms.

But I got into some VR stuff and never really play these games anymore, but I do like knowing that I can, lol. 1943, Terra Cresta, Outrun and R-Type are among my favorites. 

Have fully working Commodore 64 and Amiga emulators too. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

There is "pixel ripped" as well ..

Be good, die great !