cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GirlMirrorLook Based on Tuscany Demo

Dessimat0r
Honored Guest
This demo is based on the Tuscany demo project included with Unity 4 and using the Oculus VR extras. A girl avatar is attached to the camera controller, and the head motion of the girl avatar is calibrated to the controller so the girl moves her head as you move yours. A mirror is provided so you can see this effect. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I can try to improve it some in the forthcoming days.

Download: http://btcw.me/downloads/GirlMirrorLook.zip (Windows, set Rift as Primary screen, 1280×800, Full screen, use Fantastic if possible)

If you like it, consider donating some bitcoin to me (it would help go toward a Unity subscription perhaps): my address is 1JrHT9F96GjHYHHNFmBN2oRt79DDk5kzHq - thank you :mrgreen:

girlmirrorlook.jpg
69 REPLIES 69

Dessimat0r
Honored Guest
The surprising thing is, it is very little code to add it to existing projects if the model has bones (I just used a character that came with Unity), and the mirror is not too bad to add either (although maybe a little more effort). I'll try to post the necessary code tonight.

zaptruder
Protege
"rmcclelland" wrote:
Wow, this is surprisingly cool. This limited but effective avatar embodiment really shows the potential. After moving your head around so you "feel" it is you, then looking directly in the eyes feels... interesting. Hydra support would add a lot, but eye tracking would really put it over the top. As a shortcut, you could always have the "reflected" eyes looking into the "real" avatar eyes.

Nice work.

It feels more like a mimic at this point, but it is quite cool when the illusion registers.

Bit of Hydra and Inverse Kinematics going and it'll really hit that sweet spot.

sinoth
Honored Guest
"zaptruder" wrote:
Bit of Hydra and Inverse Kinematics going and it'll really hit that sweet spot.

This is what I'd like to start messing with in the next few days. Has anyone attempted this? I haven't noticed IK with Hydra in a Unity demo yet, but it seems like an obvious and (hopefully) straight forward thing to do.

Dessimat0r
Honored Guest
Personally I'd like to rig up some custom clothing with bend sensors implemented via fibre optics 🙂

DavidMulder
Honored Guest
Did nobody find time yet to implement this or a similar setup with full body animations including the hydra? I dunno, I have made some minimal attempts at doing so (I am a pretty bad developer when it gets to 3d stuff O:) ), but in this I think one sees the true potential of VR so it seems a terrible waste not to have any good demo's to display this concept. True, once this becomes comm'n one won't look at a mirror, but rather you will see other players, but for the time being mirrors are more than fine. So please please, someone! Improve this demo or make an entirely different demo, but it would be really valuable to have a good avatarization demo! I might give it another chance myself this weekend, but I would seriously not count on that being successful O:) . Oh well, wanted to at least bump this thread up to get more people interested in proper avatarization 😄

Dessimat0r
Honored Guest
I'll dump the code to GitHub and people can fork as they wish 🙂 But I'm not sure how Unity3D code works with different versions. I'd be neat if I could get the eye orientation from within the device, but not sure how to do that. Are there any simple methods?

IJke
Honored Guest
Very cool idea, can't wait to play around with it.

Crovax
Explorer
looks good!

whoisonline
Explorer
GirlMirrorLook (Tuscany Demo) is a cool demo. The girls head movements mirroring yours is very strange. It makes you feel there's someone behind that avatar simply by the natural movements. Multiplayer games where avatars share environments will be interesting games indeed. I hope to see more experiments like this to show controlled movements.

Thanks for doing this. I've posted on
http://virtualreality.com.au/2013/08/11/demo-girlmirrorlook-tuscany-demo/

MBeechamIndie
Honored Guest
Did the code/project make it to Github yet? I'd love to try to extend this to work with the kinect. Thanks great job.