cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HL2 with GTX970 without judder?

schmeltzer
Protege
Hi,

I have played HL2 on my DK1 and I loved it. So I was thrilled when the DK2 got out I could play HL2 ep1 and HL2 ep2 on that. However, I ran it on a EVGA GTX680 FTW edition and I never got it working without some massive judder especially whilst moving + looking. I never could figure out if this was due to problems with the DK2 or if my video card was not sufficient.

I am thinking about getting a 970 just for playing HL2 ep1 & 2 (I will do a major ugrade later in Q1 2016 anyways). Will that fix my judder problems?

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

T1z3R
Honored Guest
sorry that i cant help, i couldnt even get it to let me enable the virtual mode 😞
did you upgrade anyway?

YoLolo69
Trustee
I tested several hours HL2 (the demo, vanilla, from Steam) and DK2 on my configuration : I7 3770K OC 4,4, GTX970, 8GB Ram and it was perfectly smooth. Can't play more than 15 minutes straight without been nauseous BTWn had to take some rest before continuing...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Wildt
Consultant
"YoLolo69" wrote:
I tested several hours HL2 (the demo, vanilla, from Steam) and DK2 on my configuration : I7 3770K OC 4,4, GTX970, 8GB Ram and it was perfectly smooth. Can't play more than 15 minutes straight without been nauseous BTWn had to take some rest before continuing...

When was this? What SteamVr build and what runtime?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

sludgybeast
Honored Guest
I played all of vanilla hl2 on a gtx 970 on the dk2 with no stutter and I could play most of the game with the cinematic mod on too
DK2- Works and Developing DK1 no longer works 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a mod for Half-Life 2 that fades to black when loading the next part of the game..? Am assuming that the game pausing when loading the next part is why people are feeling simulation sickness when playing the game, right..?

Should be getting my Google Cardboard in the post this week and managed to buy The Orange Box for less than 4 quid 😄

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
"snowdog" wrote:
Is there a mod for Half-Life 2 that fades to black when loading the next part of the game..? Am assuming that the game pausing when loading the next part is why people are feeling simulation sickness when playing the game, right..?

No, it's because of how fast your character moves. You don't realize it when playing on a TV/monitor, but video game characters move ridiculously fast. It's instantly noticeable in VR and it's something your body needs to adjust to.

schmeltzer
Protege
Hi guys,

Thanks for responding! The first couple of days there were no reactings so I figured that's no longer play HL2 in VR.
Anyways, great to hear it's still possible, I will get a GTX970 for sure!

Any suggestions on which runtime I should install?

schmeltzer
Protege
I just ordered a GTX970 Superclocked ACX 2.0.

Dark_Fread
Explorer
"schmeltzer" wrote:
Any suggestions on which runtime I should install?

As of now, I couldn't get SteamVR/HL²/TF2 to work on my DK2 with 7.0 runtime.
OR DKII - Win7 64 - Phenom X4 965 - Radeon R9 380 2Go (15.7 driver) - RT v7.0