cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Life 2: VR Mod releasing on the 16th

iMight404
Retired Support

Probably just a short post, but it baffles me how we aren't all going crazy about Half Life 2: VR finally coming out after all this time! Now I don't know about y'all, but I'm pretty excited for this, as HL2 was one of the first games I played on Steam. Being able to relive the experience but in a true first-person virtual reality setting is going to be amazing! I definitely love the attention to detail - for example, the first person hands change once you get the Hazard Suit, which is a nice little touch.
iMight404_1-1662131153900.jpeg

iMight404_2-1662131159071.jpeg

There have been workarounds to play Half Life, and even Half Life 2 in VR in the past. The most notable that comes to mind is the Garry's Mod addon, VRMod, although the methods they use to display the image onto the headset leaves a lot to be desired; the outer edges of the display seem to be distorted when using it. 

iMight404_3-1662131164042.jpeg

It definitely looks to be as if we'll get manual reloading, which in of itself is a reason to get excited. Something about emptying the magazine, then inserting another clip and chambering the round in one quick, fluid motion is super satisfying. What's even more interesting, is that it also appears some weapons are going to have proper ADS. Counting my quickscope attempts on two hands...

iMight404_4-1662131174007.jpeg
The UI is as expected - completely redone and looking lovely. When I say I really like the honeycomb design they chose to go with, it's an understatement. Fingers crossed all of this will one day result in us getting third party VR support for something like Black Mesa, or for VRMod to update their method of displaying the image on the headset.

iMight404_5-1662131185177.jpeg

All in all, this is looking like a really solid VR port that I'm excited about. I can't wait for the day where porting games to VR is commonplace and I can finally enjoy Halo: Reach in VR. 

Take your destiny into your own hands. Sand cannot keep a shape by itself, but add water and it becomes malleable. Fate can be such, if you add the right element.
13 REPLIES 13

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just a few shots from last night... 😎

download.jpg

Does not look that bad even 18 years later... It kinda floated like a butterfly, and then I was ... dead 🤕 

download (1).jpg

Some dust-eaters who will never touch my crowbar again! 😇 Note the dynamic shadows

download (2).jpg

Got a new toy - note the high-res textures on it

I studied the water some more 🤓

download (3).jpg

Nice water reflections

download (4).jpg

Needs to be seen animated...  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

😍😍😍

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Maybe I should stop playing Half-Life 2 VR 🤔 Seems like the Mod devs are working on some real light + texture magic:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).jpg

Would be a shame to get the real high-end version of the mod, after having finished the original very low-end version, lol 😬 😅 Then again, I guess I'm the dude eating so many hotdogs at the barbecue that I'm full when the roast finally is done 😁

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

Great content