cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leap Motion + OR Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey fellow rifters,

Today I received the much awaited Leap Motion controller in the mail, yay!

Naturally, I immediately tried to get it working with OR, and so I managed to quickly throw together a little OR demo using the Leap Motion as input 🙂

basically i just slapped in the ORCam prefab into the Leap Motion Unity demo from the leap sdk, and threw in a few tweaks & pretties, so the creds for the code all goes to the awesome dev teams at Leap and Oculus.

There is still much work to be done to make it work smoothly for real VR application, but at least you can get a feel for it, and manipulating objects in VR space using this is quite amazing! (once you get the hang of it!)

Tip: for best results, use the Leap in a dark room away from sunlight since it is IR light based and quite sensitive to light contamination. (I also set the Leap for precision mode tracking at 60 updates/sec in the control panel, it helps)

LeapOR demo download link:
Win:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzy1g4GoGbMrSTBSYlhOdDBBZE0/edit?usp=sharing
Mac:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzy1g4GoGbMrX0k1em9kd3NES2c/edit?usp=sharing

I definitely see some very cool possibilities using Leap Motion controller as input device for VR apps & games

Have fun!
9 REPLIES 9

Apotheosis
Explorer
I tried this with my Rift and Leap. Since I dont have a hydra this is the first time i've felt connected to a game, rather than a beguiled observer wondering at the amazing environments. Blue Marble comes close to giving you that sense of being there, but its hard to beat hand tracking. The tracking is a bit sticky but its running on a MBP in a VM and thats probably casing a bit of that.

The drum sticks seem to disappear at times too as if its lost visibility of your hands? It would be interesting to see some kind of visual differentiation between forefinger and thumb if you stick with this demo. The text help spread around the environment is helpful and largely readable.

I found it tricky to turn my head to look at objects yet the leap is fixed on my desk so my hands found it difficult to manipulate anything that wasnt in the same cone. I'm sure fixing the leap to my chest or rift would fix that.

I'd like to see someone do a paint brush or spray can to try out the finer control of the leap, maybe even just a lump of clay you can mould in 3d.

Looks good, cant wait to see more!

Anonymous
Not applicable
yea the finger objects disappear if the leap looses track of them, and sometimes it can be confusing since it can happen on a frame basis - the demo just uses the code example from the sdk, but this could be improved by giving it some timeout before it hides them or something. On the other hand, it can be quite useful to hide the fingertip-cursors not in use, like if you are only using 2 fingers (index & thumb) to grab things.

I since worked a bit on the finger-tips making them more like small cursors instead of the somewhat clumsy drumsticks. Im thinking small cursors could perhaps work better than having a full 3d hand in there, which could obscure your view etc.

I'll try update as I get to play more around with this and perhaps get in some more custom code.

craigotron
Honored Guest
Update: I think I kept got sloppy and kept updating to the dropbox mac file, so it might be broken for a while. I think the Windows version should still be okay, but I can't test it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. Here's my own customized, Oculus-ready version of the Leap Motion Unity demo, along with some custom 3d scans you can get grabby with:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bfkio5mmjdkbdu3/uoCIt0bCyR

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance you could publish a mac version as well? I had to blow away my Windows partition recently so I'm mac-only at the moment.

I just got my Leap Motion today and I have the Leap Motion Unity sandbox working and customized, but I haven't been able to get the OVR Camera added successfully. Any chance you could post a vid of how you added it to the Leap Motion Unity example?

I'm pretty new to Unity.

zacherynuk
Explorer
Interesting... shows off the limitations and possibilities of the leep ...

I'm in two minds!

zoltanjr
Honored Guest
I gave the same thing a go yesterday and it was pretty simple to drop in oculus support.

Simply open up the leap motion project and import the OVR assets in. Then drop the oculus prefab straight onto the main camera already in the game. Disable all of the functions,scripts and the camera of the main camera and drop the draw grid onto each camera of the oculus camera and your done, you probably want to leave the mouse move script off since its a bit strange having it move you around with the rift on.

I have been doing a bit more advanced work on it today and swapped out the "fingers" and mapped more of a proper hand in, switched out the cube and replaced it with basketballs that you can bounce around. It is definitely a lot more finicky then I was expecting it to be, but since it's only on its first couple of days of release it's fairly understandable. Hopefully with a few more developers getting their hands on it then they will be able to do some drastic improvements fairly quickly.

My main hope is being able to put multiple leap motions placed at different angles to be able to get a much more accurate mapping of the hands since at the moment if you turn your hand sideways it loses tracking entirely which makes it a bit useless to be trying to do any decent interaction within a virtual space.

Happy to upload my code tomorrow when im at work if anybody needs it but it's all pretty straightforward.

SethG911
Explorer
Thanks guys for giving me a reason to get my Leap Motion back out of its box. This is really the first impressive thing this controller has done for me. Pretty unhappy with it so far, but these demos make up for it a bit.

cazforshort
Expert Protege
Ok so I plug in my leap plug in my rift. Everything is working, but no leap support. I know Im missing a step here. how do I tell it to use the leap as an input device?
Caz

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
It was cooler than I thought... I just do not see how my leap is going to work out with dk2 and cv1 with the camera.

cazforshort
Expert Protege
"jasonatokc" wrote:
It was cooler than I thought... I just do not see how my leap is going to work out with dk2 and cv1 with the camera.

So you got it to work? Its like it won't see my leap at all