cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MOVIES] Illusion Ray Studio - VR/3D short movies

Lukas
Honored Guest
Hi everyone

I would like to share with you with some footages from our movie projects, that we created at Illusion Ray Studio.
We focus on making short movies (around 10 minutes) for VR and traditional 3D (SBS). The movies are intended to be played in 3D cinemas (moving seats, blowing wind, splashing water etc.) and together it feels and looks amazing 🙂
Everything is rendered in Unreal Engine and the VR is working in Full HD constant 75 FPS. Of course with the 3D movie we need to use external software to stitch it together, add sound etc. and some really small tweaks.
Every project took us many months of hard work and most of it was 12-14h of work per day.
The movies are intended for VR/SBS but we have a pipeline so we can easily convert them between VR, 3D and 360 so we create 3 different variations.

Anyway, here are some trailers, footages and descriptions. Note that every screenshot and poster were made in Unreal Engine.
We added some texts in Photoshop but all the shots, colors, postprocess etc. were made in the engine.

DINO SAFARI

This is a project for the VR. We made this last year and it took us few months of hard work. This is a ride through something like a Jurassic Park in a jeep. First it was created in UDK but after UE4 came out, we decided to switch it to the new engine and we made almost everything from scratch, except the dinos and animations. The movie is 7 minutes long.

DS_Screenshots_02.jpg

AFTERLIFE

Another movie for the VR. As an police officer we need to investigate an abandoned mental hospital in the search for a fugitive hiding there.
This was a fun project but don't be tricked that it was easy. It wasn`t 🙂
As in other our productions, we wanted to make some hollywood stylish movie but to maintain the real immersion with VR. We decided to let go the carts or other vehicles and most of the movie we are walking on foot. And no, we don't have any issue (or other people) with the motion, so you don't get sick.
But one thing I noticed that the immersion is better when you stand up rather than sitting. This should be pretty obvious, but the scale looks a little bit weird if you are sitting and your character is walking tall.
This is a 9 minutes long horror movie.

AL_Screenshots_03.jpg

MOTORIDE

Motoride is a smaller project, designed mostly to use more of the effects in 3D cinemas. We are riding on a motocross bike over mountains, ruins and some other scenes. This is a rollercoaster-like ride. We ride fast, jump high and try not to get sick 😉

PIRATES 3D

The most advanced project we made. This is a 12 minutes long movie made in 3D (side-by-side). We are riding in a cart through few cool caribbean environments. We have jungle, caves, underwater and pirates` ship.
It took us more than half a year of work. Some scene are so dense with animations, postprocess, models that on my machine with 16GB ram, GTX 970, i7 I had 2 FPS but we didn't care much about it because it was rendered.
We wanted to have as beautiful graphic as we can get.

Pirates_Screenshots_18.jpg

In every project, as we made progress we need to figure out many things to trick the engine or to make the Oculus work as we wanted. It is tricky to use Unreal Engine as a rendered, but we know that is has some great potential and is much faster than using Mental Ray or Vray. Of course they are more powerful, but while none of a big Hollywood company called us to make FX in their movies, we don't need to use them and UE is getting better and better 🙂
Unfortunately, we can't show the whole movies, but maybe if there will be a lot of interest to see it, we can think about it. We didn't make it for our own so we don't decide about it.

Anyway, hope you like it and I am happy to read some comments or questions about it.

Here are some links where to find us. We also started a new FB page where you will find more informations about upcoming projects. Stay tuned! 🙂

We have a lot of images on our website, so chekt them out!

http://www.facebook.com/IllusionRayStudio

http://www.illusionray.com

Cheers,
Lucas
15 REPLIES 15

cybereality
Grand Champion
Very cool!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
These look absolutely amazing!!

Lukas
Honored Guest
Thanks 🙂

Roshondas
Honored Guest
It's looks great!! On which gpu card you had 75 fps ?

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
Is this going to be released to the public or is it only for 7D attraction theaters?

When I think of consumer VR this is exactly the kind of stuff I think of. I would buy these for the CV1 in a heartbeat.

Lukas
Honored Guest
"Roshondas" wrote:
It's looks great!! On which gpu card you had 75 fps ?

We are using the GTX 970 cards. We had to make good optimizations in UE but it runs smooth 🙂

Lukas
Honored Guest
"KevinLongtime" wrote:
Is this going to be released to the public or is it only for 7D attraction theaters?

When I think of consumer VR this is exactly the kind of stuff I think of. I would buy these for the CV1 in a heartbeat.

Well, we made this for the theatres only because a lot of people can`t afford to buy Oculus with very strong PC`s and this would help a lot of them to see it without buying the whole hardware. Of course time have changed since the first movie and when the CV1 comes out we will definitly think about making some public releases. But there is a chance to release one of our films that I show above. It depends much on the response from the community. So, if a lot of people would love to see our work, we will make one public! 🙂

Me and my team would be happy to share it with you because we think that this is A MUST to see for everyone who loves Oculus and VR. Those are short films, not games like many others on the web and this aren`t also 360 conversion but fully CG movies. 🙂

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
I love the fact that these are fully in-game real time movies. I'll definitely be keeping a look out in hopes these become public! Followed you guys on Facebook 🙂

These are my favorite kind of experiences. Have you seen Birdy Kind Land? (https://share.oculus.com/app/birdy-king-land) That's another great in-game film that was publically released and was a huge hit to VR fans. I'm sure tons of people would absolutely love your films on their Rift at home if you get the chance to release them. They probably just haven't seen this thread. Birdy King Land is one of the top rated demos on Share and its a VR film 🙂 Yours are the highest quality film experiences I've seen yet.

I live in a place where we don't have those kind of 7D theater attractions sadly 😕

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
Looks very high quality, I think many people would enjoy and pay for these experiences in VR. What I would really love to see is the combination of VR and 4D motion simulator technology. Your typical 4D experience can be fun, but ultimately looking at a screen can only be so immersive. The problems there of course is how do you make a VR attraction like that profitable with all the PCs that would need to be purchased and maintained.