cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minecraft is awesome in VR - how to get it working!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

How-Minecraft-Is-Different-In-VR.jpg

As many know, Minecraft has been available for Oculus hmds for long - like shown here with the old king - the Rift CV1 - and all thanks to Carmack!

Note that this video is old - Minecraft now works perfectly with Touch, so no need for a gamepad. 

The game is here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/741306562635466/

- but there's an issue - Oculus has deactivated the game, so if you're late to the Minecraft party, I'm not sure what you can do. This post is for users who already have the Oculus version of Minecraft installed, but are unable to get it working. Actually I've had Minecraft installed since 2017, but in recent years I got the dreaded "you need Win10 1809" error - and my Win10 version is much ahead of the old 1809 version. 

To fix the 1809 error, you need to do this - quote from Reddit:

"So I was just having this problem and wanted to help anyone else that comes here for a solution. For me, I had set a registry value to change openXR to SteamVR for MSFS I had to reverse this process by:

1. Opening the Registry Editor

2. Navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

3. Setting the value of "ActiveRuntime" to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json

After I did that, it still told me to update Windows 10 to 1809, but I pressed A through it until, finally, it opened the minecraft VR launcher properly. I hope this helps someone!"

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/m8de1v/help_with_minecraft_vr/

That worked perfectly on my rig! When you start the game, you'll see the usual start screen:

20220209225331_1.jpg

- but just press A several times, and then Minecraft will actually start to load - and suddenly the game opened like in the old days - totally amazing!  

I am using Rift CV1 ss 2.5, but I think Revive works too. Ss 2.5 is like 27 mill pixels in total, thus an extremely high res. I was able to do 96 chunks, but I could hear the i9 10900K and the RTX 3090 fans spinning up - and I got like 45 fps. Down to 48 chunks, maybe 64, resulted in solid 90 fps.   

I took a few shots:

OculusScreenshot1644444303.JPG

OculusScreenshot1644444639.JPG

OculusScreenshot1644444252.JPG

OculusScreenshot1644444401.JPG

OculusScreenshot1644444318.JPG

OculusScreenshot1644444347.JPG

OculusScreenshot1644444917.JPG

Really awesome to have Minecraft back!     

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

5 REPLIES 5

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, spent some more time on the above issue, and it seems to be quite simple - probably no need to use Regedit. The main issue is that SteamVR may take over the OpenXR runtime - and then Oculus Minecraft no longer works. But Minecraft should work when setting the Oculus app to take over the OpenXR runtime. When done so, some SteamVR games or apps may no longer work - and here's how to set the OpenXR runtime back to SteamVR:

Unavngivet.png

Brink Traveler (Steam version) is one app needing SteamVR to be set as OpenXR runtime - so you may need to change it back and forth to Oculus or Steam depending on the games or apps you want to experience. 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Zackuloid
Honored Guest

Hey! Just wanted to throw out there's no need to edit any registry files.

If you have the Bedrock Edition on Windows, all you need to do is create a shortcut on your desktop to minecraft://Mode/?OpenXR=true, which will force the game to launch in VR.

From there, just connect via link and you should be good to go!

Zackuloid_0-1644523774536.png

Great info - thanks!

No problem! I found this on some random page on Minecraft.net months ago and archived it in a Discord chat. Saw this post with all these steps and figured this solution may be easier for a lot of people, so I wanted to throw it out there!

This doesn't work for me, it keeps launching it out of vr mode.