cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help...Elite Dangerous

Hamsteren
Explorer
Hey there guy's
Need advice if i should buy Elite Dangerous or not. I see mostly positive reawiews about the game, but also some people who are totally frustrated about controls!
I want it for xploration purpose. But i need advice if the Touch controllers are fully supported, and if someone are playing Elite with them?
I really dont want to take my HMD of an on all the time because of all the button shortcuts are beeing used in the game!
Thanks in advance
15 REPLIES 15

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Touch is not supported in Elite. To get the best out of it in VR you really need a HOTAS setup. Having said that, there are those that play it in VR with M&K or Xbox pad. With a decent setup, for the bulk of the game you will not need to remove your headset. There's just the odd few little bits where that might be required, such as typing a system name into the Galaxy Map if there's one you want to search for, or consulting notes you've made or a 3rd party website for specific info. You can get away with peaking down the nose of your Rift for some of those, but there are times you'll need to take it off, like if I need to consult a website for instance. In those cases though I'm usually on a long trip somewhere or parked up at a station or on a planet, and it often makes a nice breather after you've been in it for a couple of hours.

If you can stretch to a reasonably cheap HOTAS like this, then it'll go a long way to making your experience a lot better in ED. https://www.cclonline.com/product/120469/4160543/Game-Controllers/Thrustmaster-T-flight-Hotas-X-Joys...  That's the cheapest UK price I can find. Don't be fooled by the picture, it's actually quite a big weighty stick and the throttle can be separated apart from the stick by about 50cm if I remember correctly. It's a lot of stick for the money, and mine last for ages before I needed to replace it, and then I upgraded to the T.16000M plus throttle.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, I highly recommend the T-Flight X too. It's fantastic and excellent value for money.

There's also a big update coming in Q4 which will improve both Exploration and Mining, and a load of community members were invited to Frontier to have a sneak preview and give feedback to them, you can see a good summary of what they were allowed to talk about here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9jvmpy/community_guest_fdev_visit_33_impressions/

There's also stuff they aren't allowed to mention yet because they had to sign NDAs.

Please be aware that the game has a steep learning curve but once you get over that by doing the in-game tutorials a few times and watch a few tutorials on YouTube you'll find things A LOT easier.

RattyUK
Trustee
Agree with both @Chazmeister  & @snowdog , the game is much better with a HOTAS, I have both the T-Flight X and Saitek X52 Pro, despite being 1/3 of the price of the Saitek the T-Flight is well worth buying as it is built like the proverbial outbuilding... 

You can use Touch with ED but it isn't practical and you'd get frustrated very quickly (I did anyway).  The Q4 update does look very interesting too.

As for exploring, go for it, the new mechanics may even make it quicker, especially if you no longer have to SC for 500k Ls to reach that last body in a system...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Hamsteren
Explorer
Thank you guys very much for the answers. I actually have a Saitek x52, but missing the Ps/2 6 dim cable that combines the joystick and trottle. But i think i found the right cable online today. Order sent! 🙂
I like simulations that dosn't have a storyline. Total freedom! I'm a middleaged man who does not need all the action anymore (well...sometimes) 😄

RattyUK
Trustee
You're still a baby - I get my state pension in a few months 🙂   Don't do much combat in ED, but still have a nicely engineered Vulture for those days...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Hamsteren
Explorer

RattyUK said:

You're still a baby - I get my state pension in a few months 🙂   Don't do much combat in ED, but still have a nicely engineered Vulture for those days...

B)Well...you will have all the time you need flying to the far end of the milky way, ha ha...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I love the Vulture. The thing is a crazy killing machine lol

Haven't played Elite Dangerous for a week or so, need to get going and carry on with my bounty hunting. Am also going to check out this Ram Tah business too at some point. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Touch is supported but there's not much to map except menus. Better to fly with HOTAS so start with a Flight T then upgrade as you can. I did and now use the 16000m FCS but you must be very careful not to over twist the YAW before you cause sensor damage. Buy it and it will take years to master anyways and everybody has there own binds due to various gear. I find using VoiceAttack is essential and make use of the 75% Speed bind as this is also essential to Dissengaging from Supercruise when at 7secs to target and be at correct speed without overshooting. Exploring is being revamped in the next few weeks. You don't need expensive Ships to explore but do need the best Jump Range so some Engineering is advised and this means unlocks and gathering materials on planets in the SRV.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
By default Touch is not supported, in that you can't reach out and interact with the game world using it. It works, but only as a gamepad replacement.

Someone has done this though, which looks quite good. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/447145-Elite-VR-Cockpit-Open-source-SteamVR-overlay-wit...

And there's also this one. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/442890-VR-Motion-controlled-virtual-cockpit-app-HOLOCAB...

No idea if either of those work with the Rift though, as they both look like they've been made with the Vive.

Personally I'd still much prefer a good HOTAS setup. The problem I find with these motion control sim setups, is of course that there's just no kind of feedback like you would get if your were pushing a stick or throttle, and not having any controls to rest your hands on, means it can get very tiring holding your hands out all the time in a fixed position.