cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North East South West - UPDATE #10

Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE #10

A talk I did at an art exhibition in melbourne where I talk about psychedelic experiences in films and how they are now possible to recreate in the oculus. I show my VR art world and talk about how we may be able to use VR for lucid dreaming training.

UPDATE #9
My VR project has a lucid dreaming component that I will be expanding upon. I want to use VR to train people several key techniques for achieving then maintaining lucidity.

To do this I will make a specific obstacle course that people will venture through. along the way, signposts and audio will alert the player of the meaning behind each task and section. One section will involve the simple act of walking down stairs, with the suggestion to jump a few steps. The player will be told that if done enough, this act may carry across into the dream state, and when attempted in dream, they may notice themselves floating down the stairs they usually jump down while in VR.

For training maintaining lucidity, I am playing around with the VR experience mimicking the first moments of weak pre-lucid dream, and using raycasting and triggers, have the player briefly glance at objects in the environment to practice stabilizing the lucid dream state. here's some work in progress shots..

Player 'wakes up' into an unfocused dreamlike experience, every separate object in the room starts to vibrate.

Player's focus becomes normal, and every object is still vibrating, once the player glances at objects, the environment stabilizes.

Player ventures outside..

where there is a lucid dreaming training course, with audio and signposts,

UPDATE #8
A side project/test release , trying to recreate the DMT experience in VR..
https://mega.co.nz/#!PtAwDJaA!bVJHFw-gnVtMoZko2vnjtKqiG8XK72X79854dgm7ke4

UPDATE #7 oh drat, while having a deadline for this project has helped me immensely, I won't be able to meet it on time. I've ran into optimization issues with the latest unity update, People are having lighting issues with the new occulsion culling system. The project continues... I'm writing a script for a voiceover section that my sister will read out, and a small gaming element has presented itself that it will explore more. This is such a fun, unique and challenging endevour, and although pretty basic, it's opening my mind to the possibilities of future non-solo projects.

UPDATE #6

My self-imposed deadline of December for my VR art world still stands and it's tempting not release it for months longer. I'll see what I can force out in the next few days. Good news is that my lucid dreaming training component is forming. I've found a bunch of free 3d assets suitable and have worked out the basics of raycasting.

Now, just looking at objects directly initiates interactivity, just like a technique for maintaining lucidity in dreams. After the lucidity section is complete I'll begin work on the Bardo Realm visions, as described in 'The Psychedelic Experience' http://deoxy.org/psyexp.htm a guide to the visionary states accessible by meditating while on psychedelics.

UPDATE # 5
wow, my self-imposed deadline of December is under a month away, (I'm making it the end of December).
After getting my rift I discovered my world was way too complex, so i restarted it, although in retrospect I could of learnt about Occlusion culling and LOD to make it playable around 60fps. I've been slowly discovering very cool effects for implementing psychedelic immersive content into the world, and slowly implementing interactivity. It's a tiny world, but it's my world :mrgreen:

close-up screenshot of DMT Experience Booth with a relevant speech about virtual reality by Terence Mckenna.

The Gallery section where my artwork is held.

A 360°3D DMT realm, think of it like being inside a huge opal that is animated in all directions.

a 3d wireframe spherical flower of life object that you can walk inside of as it rotates.

I'm yet to add the lucid dreaming training section, I have to learn about raycast interaction. Hopefully will have this completed by December 31st! I'm 2 months behind where I expected to be with it, and will continue to build and learn and share what I come up with. I estimate I've shown, (for free), the Oculus to over 500 people at various gatherings, parties and festivals, that's my excuse for being behind schedule!

UPDATE # 4

steadily working out how to make 3d worlds with the unity 3d engine. This weekend I managed to import my '3d spherical flower of life' and have it float and rotate over a reflective pool of water. yummo!

UPDATE # 3

Latest screenshots of the VR world, Designed in Unity, in junction with 3dsMax.

UPDATE # 2

Here's a look at a concept for a part of the environment for this ongoing art project.

INTRODUCTION OF CONCEPT

I have recently ordered the DEV RIFT after having my imagination go into overdrive from watching and researching everything about Oculus. My goal while waiting for it to arrive, is to learn how to develop a VR art installation/experience. I'm starting very basic and then building on it. I will experiment with UDK and Unity and research what will be more suitable as I get a clearer vision of what to develop. I have given myself a deadline of December 2013 to produce something of interest.
This is the vibe of the project..

my current status on the project is conceptual phase.

Cheers, Roger

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.41830481255.64188.661991255&type=3
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool project. Terrence McKenna's words take on a whole new meaning now that VR is becoming a reality.

I was thinking recently that the VR revolution is kind of like the psychedelic revolution of the 60's. Except this one will be much bigger and never burn out.

vrdev
Honored Guest
Really intriguing, and quite true that McKennas words suddenly have new bearing considering the point we have just now reached. Will watch this space with interest.

Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE #3 Latest screenshots of the VR world, NOW IN INITIAL POST

Tagera
Honored Guest
Nice!!!!

Frito
Explorer
nice concept!
VRart galleries where you go thru the artist mind... cant wait.

Dont go greedy on the polygons, even with the DK low resolution good textures and high poly models/maps really improve the experience
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

Thoth_The3x
Explorer
"Frito" wrote:
nice concept!

Dont go greedy on the polygons, even with the DK low resolution good textures and high poly models/maps really improve the experience

I think he means DO go greedy on the polygons... well... use lots of polys. xD

drash
Heroic Explorer
Awesome. Thanks for the video and good luck on your project. I can't wait to be enveloped by lovingly crafted dreams! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
cheers all,

yeah i gotta get my head used to the power of todays machines, last time i did anything like this was back customizing Doom 2 WADs! I'll be adding lots of detail and image effects, particles and some trippy interactivity. I guess I'm trying to make a 'Museum of the Microstar' type of experience, although a highly psychedelic version of that. I wonder how much I'll have to change when i try it in the rift.

Frito
Explorer
"spire8989" wrote:
"Frito" wrote:
nice concept!

I think he means DO go greedy on the polygons... well... use lots of polys. xD

Ha! You are right! Lots of polys + high quality textures
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey