cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ocean Rift goes DK2

snappahead
Expert Protege
This very cool demo has been updated for the new sdk and I actually got it running smoothly for a change. I ran it in extended mode and was able to run the "directtorift" version just fine. No low persistence, but it's smooth at least. Looks great in dk2. I had to use the mirror for the download.

http://llyrie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/ocean-rift-demo-for-dk2.html
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti
79 REPLIES 79

Gateshot
Explorer
I kept getting out of positional tracking for some reason. Otherwise, wow this really shows off the new display. Looks great in 1080p. I find it very easy to overlook the FOV also. As a novice diver myself, it's easy to image you're wearing your scuba mask. Thanks for updating this.

That shark scared the crap out of me too :shock:

acarrilho
Explorer
"Snappahead" wrote:
It's strange how inconsistent everyone's performance has been with these demos on dk2. I don't know what's going on with them exactly. I know Unity games are having some issues with the new sdk, but why I get a smooth motion while others get studder...beats me.

Coincidentally (or not), I got the exact same stutter on Helix...
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

acarrilho
Explorer
"Xemakon" wrote:
I kept getting out of positional tracking for some reason. Otherwise, wow this really shows off the new display. Looks great in 1080p. I find it very easy to overlook the FOV also. As a novice diver myself, it's easy to image you're wearing your scuba mask. Thanks for updating this.

That shark scared the crap out of me too :shock:

I reckon the utility demo is the best to adjust the positional tracking. Also watch your hands holding the rift, don't block the sensors. 🙂

jimbofbx
Honored Guest
Just tested proton pulse and I get the same stutter. So probably not your game but who knows. These unity games took away the ability to set the graphic options and when I checked helix the quality was set to "fantastic" which is the highest possible. Naturally, when your game should run at 250 fps on a mid range PC in 2d it makes you question the reasoning behind "fantastic"... The only way I figured out how to downgrade helix was to play an older version of the game where I could change the graphics.

And actually, just now rechecking helix, I also see the stutter, just it's not as bad.

ebone260
Honored Guest
"Slamraptor" wrote:
Damn that shark scared the .... out of me...

Way to ruin the surprise for everybody. 🙂

When I first loaded the demo I thought, "man, this looks like crap. I don't want to hurt the guys feelings but I guess I should recommend he update the visuals a bit as this is worse than some the worst DK1 demos."

Then I had to exited and restarted and it looked awesome. I don't know what happened, early sdk glitches I guess. Very immersive, good graphics, thanks for updating for DK2.

LikeMike
Honored Guest
Great, great, great demo. This ranks up there as the best experience so far for me. It looked gorgeous and it just really felt like being underwater. Great job to whoever has done that.

I would definetly buy a game like that. Just include different scuba diving spots, include stuff like a shark cage, feeding and maybe a treasure hunt and lots of more content and fish to discover and I'd pay 60 bucks for that right now.

Oh and this is surely a demo that should convince people of the Rift. Forget normal games, give them experiences. Perhaps some glider game or walking on the moon or going mountain climbing - I'd be very interested in all of that.

acarrilho
Explorer
"ebone260" wrote:
Way to ruin the surprise for everybody. 🙂

Sadly, I think I have few surprises coming my way from adapted DK1 demos... I think there isn't a single one I haven't "ruined". 😐

jimbofbx
Honored Guest
Seems like the stutter is an nvidia issue.

Workaround I'm finding is to extend the display and set the refresh rate to 72 hz (instead of 75). It seems to trade off jitter for motion blur which is preferable...

ccp001
Honored Guest
for some reason when i test the demo out at 75hz it will still only do 60.. hmm weird. still a great game i can tell.

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
Some bugs... The application won't detect the camera in any mode. That wouldn't be so much of a problem, except for the bright yellow flashing "Out of Camera Range" message. In Direct Mode, the image is very low resolution, probably 640x480 and the rotation is jerky (which might just be a side-effect of the low resolution). In Extended Mode, the image renders at 1920x1080 and the rotation is buttery smooth.