cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Room Details, now with SteamVR Chaperone generation

kojack
MVP
MVP
This isn't a full release yet (source and stuff), but for now I thought somebody might find it useful.

Oculus Room Details is a simple command line tool that generates two output files:

room.svg - This is an svg drawing of your room configuration, showing sensor placement and heights, camera frustums, guardian boundary, play area rectangle and centre location. It also labels distances between sensors.

chaperone_info.vrchap - This is the SteamVR config file for chaperone boundaries.

If you don't want to set up chaperone for SteamVR games (some require explicit room scale setup in SteamVR rather than falling back on Oculus Guardian), you can use this tool to generate a chaperone config file from the current Oculus settings. Just copy the generated chaperone_info.vrchap to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config and start SteamVR. It should now be using the same boundary as Guardian.

Note: Guardian boundaries have way more points than a chaperone boundary, it may look a little messy in SteanVR.

room.svg output:
9wqju98v9k8h.png

The same oculus guardian setup exported to steamvr:
k09nmihrvk35.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr2lhn34v80n1jy/OculusRoomDetails_V0_2.7z?dl=0

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
12 REPLIES 12

elboffor
Consultant
Nice wprj kojack, do you mind if i integrate it into my multitool?
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Go for it.

I'll probably make a better version at some point with options and stuff, but I've been too busy with work to do anything besides quick hacks. But I saw a few threads mentioning how setting up chaperone is annoying, so I thought I'd give out what I have. 🙂

It's not very tested at the moment. Works for me, no idea if anybody else can get it running. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

YoLolo69
Trustee
Amazing! 🙂 But the only software I have installed able to open .svg seems to be Gimp and it's complaining the file don't have any side coded inside (which seems logical to me btw as it's scalable...). Validate with default setting open a empty "chess" square...

tem9uyf7kj6g.png

In french 😉 Note I'm using Gimp 2.8 so I need to check if a new version exist (probably, it's old).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

kojack
MVP
MVP
Firefox, Chrome and IE can all open SVG, just drag the file onto them.
Inkscape is a great free editor for SVG (and it can export them to PNG).

Try running oculus home at least once first, I did have some problems where the oculus system hadn't started fully when this program ran, and it thought all the sensors were at 0,0,0. That made the world size become 0 too. It hasn't done that for a while.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Ok, it worked fine after I activate Guardian (it was off from my previous seated session) and I run it when Oculus Home was running. Probably just the latter was the key?

Work perfect! Center match also where I'm seat right now, fronting north. Perhaps adding the play area precise sizes?

s2njwzf23ah1.png

Thanks for this new useful tool! 🙂

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yep, I should add play area size. Or even better, options to select which labels to add.

Krystm
Explorer

i like it! This is my room according to the out put, any suggestions? Awaiting my 3rd sensor next week! gonna probably do dead center at the back of the room. I extended out my cameras after my first run of the tool! Tracking seems pretty damn good as is, as long as I don't go back too far.
ehyde2d4u34l.pngtza3i0yga27y.png

l0cut15
Explorer
adh1doxa22qc.pngThere still seems to be a coverage issue in the rear left of my mostly ceiling mounted setup....

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Neato! I will have to take a look ar this once I get my room scale setup finished
WAAAGH!