cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Store V Steam VR

MrBluePlaydoh
Protege

Ok i wanted to buy a game from the Oculus store but i thought i would check the prices on steam and its cheaper via steam!

I know you say SteamVR isn't supported but who cares when it works and the games are cheaper! why would i buy from Oculus store?

Come on lets at least match the price!

Just missed out on a sale due to greed.

5 REPLIES 5

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Steam vr games are supported by running them through the rift app.  If a game on steam vr page has the oculus logo, that means the drivers and controllers have been written so the steam vr program will be able to run.

Essentially you enable outside sources in the rift pc app, start steam vr from the desktop icon, and load into a game from the steam vr home.

Capture.JPG

The only cavet is that if you buy on steam vr, you don't get the cross-buy to oculus platform.  So some rift games are cross-buy meaning if you buy for rift you get the quest version for free.

Interesting as I had Oculus support tell me to stop using Steam VR as its not supported.Capture.PNG

@MrBluePlaydoh wrote:

Interesting as I had Oculus support tell me to stop using Steam VR as its not supported.Capture.PNG

your kinda reading that wrong.  Third party games are always hit or miss, is a generic disclaimer, if the game is a AAA game or a developer took the time to write native oculus drivers it is suitable for rift/quest platform.

A third party game just means oculus itself didn't get the chance to validate.

Half alyx is great example of the developer going the extra mile as this game has fantastic support for oculus.

PITTCANNA
Visionary

I would not worry about buying steam vr games running them through your rift/quest  considering the marketshare is at about 50% orrift/quest ueres.Capture.JPG