cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other distribution channels ?

MPS_Europa_AG
Honored Guest
I would like to ask, if there are methods for distribution other than the store, and release channels. For instance downloading APKs via a link or install apps from other apps. It would highly increase the possbility for companies and users to distribute software faster. Sideloading and with ADB is painstakingly slow. If I was a company and offered different trainings, I'd like a central hub from where I can download and install different "Trainings" or Apps Remotely. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Side-loading with SideQuest is about the easiest non-store way to get software onto your Quest or Go. Initial setup is a bit of a pain, due to the way dev mode has to be activated, but once that’s done, it’s almost as easy as using the official store. 

It’s not really in Oculus’ interest to provide non-store ways to distribute software; especially for the Quest, they sell the hardware at a low price for the sole purpose of getting users into their ecosystem so they can make money selling software. 

For training materials or other corporate content, WebVR may be a better route than installed software. I haven’t played around with it, but I believe you can access a WebVR experience through the built-in browser without installing anything. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Side-loading with SideQuest is about the easiest non-store way to get software onto your Quest or Go. Initial setup is a bit of a pain, due to the way dev mode has to be activated, but once that’s done, it’s almost as easy as using the official store. 

It’s not really in Oculus’ interest to provide non-store ways to distribute software; especially for the Quest, they sell the hardware at a low price for the sole purpose of getting users into their ecosystem so they can make money selling software. 

For training materials or other corporate content, WebVR may be a better route than installed software. I haven’t played around with it, but I believe you can access a WebVR experience through the built-in browser without installing anything. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo