Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom: Covert Ops releasing June 25! Reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Looks awesome:

Get the game here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1766848360109262/?locale=en_US

Phantom_Screenshots_Rift_01-scaled.jpgPhantom_Screenshots_Rift_02-scaled.jpgPhantom_Screenshots_Rift_04-scaled.jpgPhantom_Screenshots_Rift-Watermark_06_SM-scaled.jpg

    

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

35 REPLIES 35

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Nice - 9/10  🙂 

https://www.gamegrin.com/reviews/phantom-covert-ops-review/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Unknowingly, I've been training for Covert Ops for months  😄 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Been playing through the first mission for the last 45 minutes. This is pretty damn fun! Graphics and sounds are fabulous on the Rift CV1.

One thing I can say for sure...

Get ready to burn them forearms as you paddle yo ass off!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Been playing through the first mission for the last 45 minutes. This is pretty damn fun! Graphics and sounds are fabulous on the Rift CV1.

One thing I can say for sure...

Get ready to burn them forearms as you paddle yo ass off!

Awesome, still downloading here - now 6GB 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Just completed the first mission.

My impressions:
  • The stealth and missions are implemented very well! Anyone who likes sneaking around a guarded fortress is going to love this experience.
  • Your character has a good variety of weapons to assist during missions. From distraction devices (noise grenades), to combat weapons (assault rifle, pistol with silencer, sniper rifle).
  • Each mission ranks you in several areas (completing objectives, number of kills, number of times spotted, etc).
  • There is a heavy emphasis on stealth, but killing is also fun and rewarding for all you sniper lovers out there! There's even sub-missions for killing high-valued targets that have a price on their heads. However, you are very limited on Ammunition; the missions are lengthy and there are lots of bad guys, so you can't just shoot your way through this.
  • If you have ever performed any form of paddle boating, then you'll quickly realize how realistic this game implemented this feature. Trying to out-run enemy boats while paddling away IRL is both awesome and hilarious. The fact that this is a seated experience that takes place entirely on a kayak is super fun thanks to the full VR implementation.
  • The missions are non-linear. One of the downsides of many "made for VR" games over the years has been the highly linear approach; with little room for exploration and options. So many VR titles force the player down a single path with a singular solution. But this title lets you pick from several options. Pure Rambo Violence is one option, but there are several ways to stealth your way through each area and reach your objective. The options are not vast, but they do leave room for creativity, player preference, and help avoid any sense of monotony.
  • Your paddle is multi-use! I was using it to move me off of walls, to open gates, hit the brakes, and make sharp turns.

So far, this game brings back memories of some other favorites that have a similar feel, going between the action and sneaking:
  • Arktika.1
  • Defector
  • Edge of Nowhere

Overall, this is another win for VR!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Also the performance is great. I'm forcing ss 2.0, and although I get dips below 90 with High details, the game runs really close to 90 fps. 
Textures might not be Alyx quality, but you do not notice that using the CV1. Love that you got arms and a body - you don't get that in Alyx 😉 Weapons look awesome. 
The game supports temporal antialiasing as the highest/best level of antialiasing - this usually means that the game was designed for Oculus oled hmds, because temporal antialiasing looks really blurry with lcd hmds, but there are other non-temporal options available.
When selecting High detail settings, you do not get the highest available settings, because dynamic shadows can be increased another notch. Doing that did have a significant performance impact on my rig - but it looked really great. You may need at least a 1080 Ti or better to max out the game using CV1 and ss 2.0.
Paddling felt real - I do understand if some may experience motion sickness, but there are some aids and lower difficulty levels for persons new to VR. 
My rating is 9/10 for now - it's one of the most beautiful and captivating games with the CV1 (devs also recommend headphones, smells like CV1 to me 😉

In short - this is totally "Sam Fischer Style" kayaking, lol. 

@Run2SR2 I'm blaming you for what's turning into an expensive day.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

@Run2SR2 I'm blaming you for what's turning into an expensive day.

Uh-oh, it's not all my fault, Zenbane made some posts too, lol  o:)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Think positive, this game is very cheap compared to renting a real kayak, you get the exercise, you can blow up stuff and you even get to shoot people!  It's the perfect active outdoor vacation 😄

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Starting to feel really tired, and had to attend some important meetings. And then there was no coffee  :#

Not sure anyone will understand me if I explain I went kayaking until 0:30 AM and had to get up 6 AM...