cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Eye

jakeslack27
Honored Guest
Hi Rifters!

This is Jake from Private Eye, our little team from the UK have been working on this title for a little over 3 months and we are nearly ready to show you guys. It's going to be a noir thriller set in 1950s New York with the core gameplay mechanic revolving around exploring your environment with a pair of binoculars. The player will take control of a wheelchair bound protagonist and movement will be very limited with exploration focused primarily on looking. A serial killer is active and to solve you will need to explore both the view outside your window and memories from your past.
We hope that sounds interesting!?

We are looking to launch a Kickstarter campaign in approximately 3 weeks - going to record the promo video this weekend - slightly nervous!

Does anyone have any advice on how best to give the project its best shot? We were perhaps thinking of releasing a small demo for the initial pledge. What do you guys think?

Thanks for checking us out, Jake and the Private Eye team
Creative Director of Private Eye - A cinematic, neo-noir thriller for the Oculus Rift, where voyeurism meets mystery, played out against a 1950's New York city backdrop. Official Site: http://www.privateeyevr.com
23 REPLIES 23

raidho36
Explorer
Good luck guys! The game is pretty awesome, hope you can make it.

There's a typo in your website link. 😉

jakeslack27
Honored Guest
Whoops, a typo probably best not to make! Thanks for the support, really is difficult to judge generally how much of a chance we have.

Here is our list of rewards for the pledges. Not set in stone, just an idea of what we want to give:

Reward #1
Pledge £5 or more
Sincere thanks from the Private Eye team plus Private Eye alpha demo, the original VR Jam version and an exclusive HD Desktop Wallpaper as well as update emails throughout production.

Reward #2
Pledge £10 or more
Free Download of the completed 'Private Eye' game and eternal thanks from the Private Eye production team (plus all prior backing rewards)

Reward #3
Pledge £15 or more
A 'Special Thanks' in-game credit (plus all prior backing rewards).

Reward #4
Pledge £30 or more
Early Access game mechanics Beta & 3 limited edition Private Eye Mystery Collectable trading cards & Free download of full original soundtrack(plus all prior backing rewards).

Reward #5
Pledge £50 or more
Free exclusive 'Private Eye' T-shirt (plus all prior backing rewards).

Reward #6
Pledge £100 or more
Free 'Private Eye' Digital Production Diary and Artbook (plus all prior backing rewards).

Reward #7
Pledge £250 or more
Signed poster from the 'Private Eye' production team (plus all prior backing rewards).

Reward #8
Pledge £500 or more
Define and name your own character in the 'Private Eye' world! (plus all prior backing rewards).

Reward #9
Pledge £1,000 or more
Free Collectors Edition game pack including: Printed game disc, Limited edition Mystery trading cards (Full set), and Printed Production Diary book, game soundtrack and help design your own task in the game (plus all prior backing rewards).

Reward #10
Pledge £2,000 or more
Enjoy a Dinner with the production team and be presented with your own personalised 'Private Eye' Collectors edition game pack! (plus all prior backing rewards).

Do you think we've got a good selection there? Anything missing? We thought about including a binocular peripheral for the Oculus but think that's a little far-fetched!?
Creative Director of Private Eye - A cinematic, neo-noir thriller for the Oculus Rift, where voyeurism meets mystery, played out against a 1950's New York city backdrop. Official Site: http://www.privateeyevr.com

raidho36
Explorer
Instead of a dinner you may put there autenthetically looking retro binoculars. For previous reward you may put there an autenthetically looking retro telephone, with rotating circle dialler, etc. Maybe swap those two around. Regular binoculars are something like $50 so it's fairly affordable, nice looking telephones may be up to $100 and even a bit above.

Oh and yes, the real binoculars' DoF ranges from 3-5 meters into infinity, so the only things that should be blurred out would be the room and stuff in it.

AmebousPeter
Honored Guest
I plan to pledge to get the game, if that data helps you at all.

I wouldn't play the demo for fear of loosing actual game content. A spicy video may be all you need.

JimmothySanchez
Honored Guest
Project looks creative and original. I'd back it.

Raven
Protege
Good luck with the campaign Jake. We at Aldin are rooting for you.
The backer rewards look interesting and reasonable.

Edit: I recommend a playable demo if you can produce one. It usually appears to have a positive effect. Just make sure to explain in a concise manner what features the demo doesn't have which the final game will.

jakeslack27
Honored Guest
Awesome, thanks guys - the continued support we have here on these forums is a real boost 🙂 We've always had the idea that a demo would work really well supporting the Kickstarter, so people on the fence could test and see if they like the game. I guess that would mean we would release it for free rather than as a pledge? Think we may go with a video and then hold back the demo for if we need it!

Love the retro binoculars idea - thinking it could be part of a bumper pack with other private detective tools of the trade - themed notebook, pack of smokes, bottle of scotch and the Private Eye case book! That would be cool. Thinking these could be part of previous pledges too and binoculars only open up on more expensive pledges. Nice 🙂

drash
Heroic Explorer
Best of luck with the kickstarter! I plan to back it as I really enjoyed the VR Jam game.

Any idea if you'll be able to include optional subtitle support for the spoken portions? That was the only thing holding me back from max enjoyment.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

getnamo
Honored Guest
Had a blast with the jam demo after I finally got a xbox controller, expect a backer here 🙂

Your rewards look to be in order, always consider the value proposition they make to the backers. It is my understanding that a kickstarter is much more about the people you are backing and the idea rather than the product itself. So it is important to put yourself out there and convince people of your vision of the game, demonstrating key, exciting features that will be in the game (like a trailer). Finally to broaden the base, you may want to have a non-rift option if that is possible.

Just my 2 coppers, best of luck with the campaign!
Current Project: Skycall