cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re4 VR one tweak I would like

brotherjunk
Explorer

I absolutely love re4, my favorite game of all time. Played it on nearly every platform its released so the VR version was like being a little kid again. I’ve sunk many hours into it and ran through the most recent mercenaries dlc and got everything. I do have one discrepancy although small. The Chicago Typewriter. Gun is fantastic, looks good feels good. Only one issue, the default version doesn’t have an option to reload. I understand its an infinite weapon so it serves no real purpose, but the original ports you had the option of hitting the reload key/button and seeing an animation. Even with Leon’s mafia outfit and the hat flip. I know its a small and really inconsequential detail but it’d really make the gun feel complete for me, nothing like flicking the magazine out of a tommy gun and reloading a new one for some added style after a fight with the ganados. Surely this won’t be seen by anyone important but a man can dream so why not spread it. Maybe others have thoughts on it as well, who knows maybe it could be added. Worth a try!

7 REPLIES 7

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Huh, I hadn't noticed it lacked a reload option when I was running the Mercenaries challenge run using it. Then again, I was kind of busy trying not to die. 🙂 Personally, I think it'd be nice if we got the Separate Ways campaign too.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Yeah I agree, any additional content for an awesome experience like that is always welcome. So the more we can spread stuff like this the better. Appreciate the insight friend. 

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I was a little bummed when my research showed that all the unlockables for Separate Ways and the other Ada Wong campaign had been moved to Mercenaries. Mostly because this meant those likely weren't included (yet). I'd never really been a fan of Mercenaries mode. I've tried it on every game it's included, only to quickly find it kind of boring. So the fact I'll be forced to play that mode until I've 'mastered' it just to get the unlocks previously linked to unlockable campaigns? Boo.

Granted, I didn't actually play Separate Ways before. By the time I had finished RE4 originally I ran mercenaries once or twice, then decided I was done with the game due to how clunky the original's control scheme is. I hadn't even noticed that campaign was now an option. So to play it now, I'd have to complete a play through of the game again since my PS2 died last year. Thus I'm having to use my PS3 to play the PS2 release of the game now.

Yeah I hear that a lot about the controls, being an old game coming out in 2004 its a bit different, I personally like it but there’s some obvious bias lol. If you ever have the opportunity to try it, the pc hd fan project is phenomenal and by far the best version of the game. Revamped mouse and key controls and awesome retextures a lot of love went into it. On the topic of mercenaries it can be a bit of a headache I’ll admit, I don’t necessarily dislike it but it the grind can definitely get a bit frustrating/old after a handful of levels but I definitely appreciated and enjoyed the opportunity to play different characters and see some unique things ie; hunks neck breaker move or krauser’s arm. Definitely broke a sweat playing krauser in vr using a bow lol. 

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Oh yeah, VR definately pushes RE4 from "good game" to "GREAT game". And ramps up the scares. Although it also removes some of the pucker factor too due to aiming being MUCH easier. A lot of the fear from RE4's original release was how you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. Aiming is slow and imprecise too. All told it's kind of clunky, which brought the original release down a lot IMO. You got use to it, and eventually are mowing through enemies like they are minor speed bumps. But until then you're fighting the controls as much as the enemies. Which, fair enough. That's long been part of RE games.

At the time of it's launch, RE4 was revolutionary. I think it was one of the first third person shooters to use the right thumb stick for smooth camera control. Prior to that you had to use shoulder buttons for turning, with camera following the turn. Think it was also one of the first times you had any sort of aiming HUD when not using a scope. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye being some of the only other ones I can think of.

And don't get me wrong. The game has always been **bleep** good. I just never agreed it was "the best game ever, of all time".

Yeah I get that to each their own of course. 

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

It is a bit sad that the VR port cut out the hedge maze sequence. I can kind of see why that was done. The entire thing is basically padding the game out. And the dogs are a pain to deal with. Still, sad that it was cut out. I don't agree with all the nerdrage over a couple lines being censored though.