cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniper Elite VR has launched in the Oculus Store and on Steam - reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Today's brand-new launch trialer, but age-restricted:

Get the game here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1501313913294054/?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_15013139132...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/752480/Sniper_Elite_VR/

The Quest version is only 3GB, while the PCVR version is about 5 times bigger - at 14GB. So clearly the Quest version has been cut down massively. 

System requirements for the full VR version:

MINIMUM:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i5-4590/AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater
  • Storage: 14 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i7 8700k / AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon Vega 56

RoadToVR rated the Quest version 50%, while Upload rated the PCVR version 80%:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2021/07/review-sniper-elite-vr/

Steam reviews are mixed at the moment, but you can try the game in both the Oculus Store and on Steam for up to 2 hours and refund if you don't like it. I've bought the game but won't have time to test it before the kids are sleeping later tonight, sigh. Some shots:

Sniper-Elite-VR-screenshot.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage4-1024x576.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage2-1024x576.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage1-1024x576.jpg

ss_d3b636c48101d8012331c71eee00260b68b67c97.1920x1080.jpg

ss_28d3980a0d6ae0b5a3e205d6e924e5a3c3fc690c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3d43d5088c1ae9d9b0a45af9f4742e90ee45affc.1920x1080.jpg

ss_65136a79af30cd9ca8f4fd26112b62f71c22af7d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_00640765c895b7bfcc4cdb6e5a7a19245ed378b6.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c876c7939d8e8ae8ba7b8d41aa2ed45f84e8f189.1920x1080.jpg

          

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

36 REPLIES 36

TwrchTrwydd
Adventurer

Just purchased an can confirm

it's CROSS BUY 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Bought the Oculus version yesterday (apparently the Steam version doesn’t use the Oculus runtime, so if you use an Oculus headset, buyer beware). Only had time to play the first bit of it, but so far, so good. The guns feel good, and the scopes work really well (among the better implementations I’ve seen in a VR game). I was pleased to discover that there are good options for lefties (i.e. you have choice to swap locomotion to the right stick or not), and plenty of comfort and accessibility settings. The game looks pretty nice, and runs smoothly on High settings on my GTX 1080 (I played at a resolution of 3700x1872 at 90 Hz over tethered Link, with a bitrate of 350 Mbps).

I also installed the Quest 2 native version, and I’ll try it out today during my lunch break. I’ll give my impressions on the version this afternoon.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Unfortunately my review isn't positive - probably 3/10, This is a Quest port, not real PCVR. I've already uninstalled and refunded. My review trying to keep it short:

This is another Quest port - the devs have been trying to hide that fact by making nicer textures and adding grass etc. But take a look at objects that should be round - like a plate. It's not round, but maybe octagonal or so. In the very first level check out the armchair, it's really ugly with extremely few polygons.
Also you can pick up very few objects, because the Quest processors can't handle real physics. So you get none of that in this Quest game. Shadows are just blob shadows, you got no dynamic light and shadows in this game, because the Quest processors can't handle that. Also check out the npcs, if you look closely, can you see how few polygons they are made of? Does not look like a game from 2021, maybe more like a game from 2005. And check out the pieces of bricks when something explodes - big low-poly chunks flying at you.
The game has been somewhat optimized for the Index, meaning there is finger tracking, and some textures are great. But devs only made some surfaces nicer, and forgot many surfaces where you can see many ugly low-res textures. This indicates that some high-res textures were added, but this was never a PCVR game from the beginning.
Thus this is no PCVR game, this is a Quest port. This game will be an easy refund to me - but still a sad one. I was hoping that we'd at least get the poly count based on the PS4 processor, but no, we got the Quest version.
I'm using an i9 10900K cpu, oc'ed RTX 3090, 32GB and the game is on my Samsung 860 EVO 4TB SSD. I got solid 90 fps with res 200% and graphics on high in 90 Hz.

RoadToVR did also not like the game and rated the Quest version 5/10:

Unavngivet.png

https://www.roadtovr.com/sniper-elite-vr-review-quest-rift-steam-psvr/

This review on Reddit also is in line with my experience of the game (I didn't have issues with the Index controllers though, even if these weren't perfectly aligned - but many complaints indicate this goes for all controllers in the game including Touch):

"As much as I want to like this game, there are some game breaking issues. For one, the VR hand models aren't even lined up for some reason. I don't know how something as bad as that passes QA because it makes sniping genuinely impossible, at least with my Index controllers. It feels like the hands in game are 4 inches closer to the center of my body than they actually are IRL.

The shooting mechanics are clunky at best. Not sure how else to expand how I feel about it other than that they just feel awkward, and slow. The reload mechanic feels significantly clunkier than in other titles like Pavlov.

The game seems to think that I'm stepping out of bounds whenever I approach cover, making it impossible to actually use cover. Kind of game breaking for a game where you have to duck in and out of cover, no?

The game also frankly does not look great. The graphics are Questified, but even for the Quest they aren't great. Explosions are laughable. Every enemy looks like the same low poly model. This will be a great game for Quest users since it's already going to run on Quest hardware, but for PCVR it looks laughably bad. It also can't even hit 144fps with a RTX 3090, my GPU frametimes are well over 10ms. For a game that looks this bad, that's pretty unoptimized.

Just my two cents though. I don't want to sound overly negative but there really isn't a ton to love here. It also gets significantly grindier throughout the game. It reminds me of the Lord of the Rings Shadow of War game that literally makes you go back and grind enemies to be able to get to the ending."

Btw, people thinking this game is just remotely similar to Medal of Honor VR have no clue what they are talking about. Medal of Honor is like a Mount Everest of quality compared to Sniper Elite VR. For example, when looking into some eyes in Medal of Honor VR, you can see the ultra-tiny arteries in the eye. Such attention to details is mind-blowingly awesome. And the poly count is extremely high in Medal of Honor VR. You got none of that in Sniper Elite VR. Weapon handling is incredibly much better also in Medal of Honor VR - but I guess Sniper Elite VR isn't bad for a GearVR-class game. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Wow, that's sad that you can't enjoy a solid game due to something as trivial as poly count.

Just played the first two missions of the Quest version, and I'm impressed. This has to be the best looking game on the platform so far (closest competitor would probably be Dr. Beef's unofficial Doom 3 port). Mechanics feel good, performance is smooth, and overall it feels quite close to the PC experience. I noticed some simplified level geometry compared to PC (debris piles, roof tiles, etc.), but nothing that impacts gameplay in any way.

It's nice to have both versions, and I'll probably play the PC version if I'm playing at home, but after seeing how good the native Quest version looks and feels, I'll happily play that too when I'm away from my PC (which is often--I tend to get more VR time on my Quest during my lunch break at work than I do at home these days).

I haven't played any Sniper Elite games before, so I'm not sure if they get a bit boring over the course of their campaigns, but mission types other than sniping will hopefully keep things interesting. Anyway, so far I'm quite enjoying this game, and I look forward to playing more over the weekend.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Quest store version has a rating of about 4.25/5 stars with 209 reviews, and the Rift store has it rated at 4.5/5 stars (only 18 reviews), so it looks like most people are not so harshly judgmental about visuals, and appreciate good gameplay.

TheTonaZ
Expert Protege

could saving does not work.

i played 3 mission on PCVR on Quest2 via link. Then opened Quest 2 native version, and no previous save found.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Unfortunately my review isn't positive - probably 3/10, This is a Quest port, not real PCVR. I've already uninstalled and refunded. My review trying to keep it short:

This is another Quest port - the devs have been trying to hide that fact by making nicer textures and adding grass etc. But take a look at objects that should be round - like a plate. It's not round, but maybe octagonal or so. In the very first level check out the armchair, it's really ugly with extremely few polygons.

RoadToVR did also not like the game and rated the Quest version 5/10

Rating a game low based solely on visuals takes us back to the topic of, "The destructive force of GREAT VR games getting mediocre or no reviews."

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/The-destructive-force-of-GREAT-VR-games-getting-mediocre-or-n...

Road to VR gave it a 5 out of 10 based on gameplay but they complimented the graphics.  You rated it lower (3/10) based purely on graphics while ignoring gameplay.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the general audience here is "VR Enthusiasts," not "polycount enthusiasts." One of the best VR games to date, which won at least 1 VR Award, is Pixel Ripped. And it is a purely low res pixel game. The devs of Sniper Elite VR certainly deserve the courtesy of having their game rated and reviewed in its entirety, as opposed to intentionally boxing their game in to a single category of polycount.

Not to mention that VR Enthusiasts tend to appreciate good gameplay over polycount.

Sniper Elite VR was indeed a big disappointment to me, I'm fond of WW2 shooters like MOH, but even if the PCVR version technically stems from the PSVR version - which has a slightly higher overall poly count than the Quest version - it really looks to me like a lot of design choices were made to accommodate the Quest version. In fact the 3 versions are so much alike, I bet many common users don't notice much difference:

I saw many very low poly objects in the PCVR version - and not much ruins immersion faster for me, especially in games where devs try to make the experience look real. The PS4 is capable of awesome graphics, like shown in Moss and Trover (some of my favorite VR games), to me it looks like devs deliberately chose many low-poly models in Sniper Elite VR to ease the transition to the Quest version. Thus looks to me that design choices were made for a lowest common denomitator (no dynamic shadows, no advanced physics, low-poly models, many areas with low-res textures etc.). Thus you've got an awesome Quest game, a somewhat mediocre PSVR game and a bad PCVR game - game is only 6/10 on Steam right now based on nearly 300 ratings (3.7/5 in the Oculus Store, not great either, but only 43 ratings). Metascore is now 68 for PCVR. Most reviewers don't seem to care about graphics, shadows and physics though - they just think it's overall a mediocre game for the story and content. 

Btw, I'm not alone concerning the graphics - when I just opened the Steam page, I saw this quite thorough review:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/FoonTheRaccoon/recommended/752480/

Quote: "-Graphics/Environment: Now graphics don't make a game. But they sure as hell help. Especially when you have a WWII game as generic as this story wise. This game looks like it was made in 2006 by an indie team. And I know y'all wanted to have it viable as a Quest port, I understand that, but why did you use the quest assets on PC?! No PBR mats, minimal normal's, every NPC was a mannequin with lego hands, and the poly count was laughable. I'm pretty sure there have been other Sniper Elite game that look a decade better than this game. Oh and the levels were so dreary with the exact same color palette of brown, grey, and sometimes some green. All that while every environment was tiny as hell. I know you wanted to save GPU memory for the quest, but y'all should have designed around that and had in level loading or streaming for the quest so as not to neuter the other versions."

Again, very close to my impressions of the game, graphics look way too dated compared to what modern PCs are capable of. 

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Again, very close to my impressions of the game, graphics look way too dated compared to what modern PCs are capable of. 

And that's because graphics are not what make a game great.

There are games on Steam that are intentionally 2D and pixelated despite the modern capabilities of todays PCs. Yet they get amazing ratings, such as Blasphemous which has over 11,000 positive reviews:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/774361/Blasphemous/

Writing reviews that ignore 99% of what the game offers in favor of bloating the role graphics play doesn't really provide a proper review that is helpful for actual Gaming and VR Enthusiasts.

In the early days of this forum, many of us were overly excited to experience older games in VR, such as Morrowind. Because as a VR Enthusiast knows, graphics don't make immersion.