cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniper Elite VR has launched in the Oculus Store and on Steam - reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Today's brand-new launch trialer, but age-restricted:

Get the game here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1501313913294054/?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_15013139132...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/752480/Sniper_Elite_VR/

The Quest version is only 3GB, while the PCVR version is about 5 times bigger - at 14GB. So clearly the Quest version has been cut down massively. 

System requirements for the full VR version:

MINIMUM:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i5-4590/AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater
  • Storage: 14 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i7 8700k / AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon Vega 56

RoadToVR rated the Quest version 50%, while Upload rated the PCVR version 80%:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2021/07/review-sniper-elite-vr/

Steam reviews are mixed at the moment, but you can try the game in both the Oculus Store and on Steam for up to 2 hours and refund if you don't like it. I've bought the game but won't have time to test it before the kids are sleeping later tonight, sigh. Some shots:

Sniper-Elite-VR-screenshot.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage4-1024x576.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage2-1024x576.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage1-1024x576.jpg

ss_d3b636c48101d8012331c71eee00260b68b67c97.1920x1080.jpg

ss_28d3980a0d6ae0b5a3e205d6e924e5a3c3fc690c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3d43d5088c1ae9d9b0a45af9f4742e90ee45affc.1920x1080.jpg

ss_65136a79af30cd9ca8f4fd26112b62f71c22af7d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_00640765c895b7bfcc4cdb6e5a7a19245ed378b6.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c876c7939d8e8ae8ba7b8d41aa2ed45f84e8f189.1920x1080.jpg

          

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

36 REPLIES 36

Just out of curiosity what are the graphics settings avalible in the PC version because you can usually tell when the PC gets a questified version of a game because it has almost no normal advanced PC settings that the end user can tweak to match their hardware as per the norm, and usually a questfied port has just basic graphic settings of low, mid or high, which is evidence that it was ported from a system that has almost no PC graphics card features like phyx or any higher dx features.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

I can't check the game because I refunded it, but I'm very sure the PCVR version only had low, med and high graphics settings (and no clue what the settings included). I tested the game using high, although High in that game looked much worse than "Low" in most other PCVR games. I was hoping that High would enable real-time shadows, but no - just got the same super-low-end blob shadows as when using Med settings. Best guess - High just enabled some antialiasing which was invisible to me because I was already pushing res 200% with the Index. High surely did nothing for the many horrible low-res textures. 

Have to say the images in my first post in this thread look so much better than the real game - that's why 2D trailers and images are hard to trust for VR games. You really need to get in the game and see things up close. I've got many VR games from 2016-2017 looking so much better than this game (just take Lone Echo, and that game is now 4 years old, it's still light-years ahead of Sniper Elite VR, lol). 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable

I picked this one up the other day. Can not resist a WWII shooter - though I am certain it will not be of Medal of Honor Above and Beyond quality.

Will try to check this out sometime this week , may be next week though as we have a couple of grandkids flying in for a few days on Thursday. And I really want to make some progress in my current DCS Hornet campaign.

They did this with SW pinball Vr that was just released, they ported the mobile Quest version onto the PCVR as if no one would wonder why the game looks like a mobile Vr game on their £1000 PCs, i refunded that mess back to steam 10 mins after i saw the first tables low textures, jaggies and all the graphical bells and whistles that were missing, and if this is what some devs are going to offer PCVR gamers then they can rock on. lol

And for comparision i have PBFXVR on steam and Stern pinball VR on the oculus store, two very polished pinball games made for the PCVR, and compared to them SWPBVR is a joke as a PCVR pinball table game. lol

Oh and SE V2 was fantastic, and SE4 was amazing, two cracking games, i have even toyed with grabbing the V2 remaster as it would only cost me £7 on steam due to owning the original, but i got too much at present. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

TheTonaZ
Expert Protege

Visually it is SH.IT compared to MoHAB. Fun to play anyways.
It's disappointing that PCVR apex is still HL-Alyx, a one-year-and-a-half old videogame.
Ridiculous. Sensless. Pissful.

I fully agree about MOH, but Alyx will probably have the VR throne for many years to come. Valve said about 80 persons worked on Alyx for years - and Valve also uses the game to sell Index hardware. I doubt we'll be seeing other companies be able to invest in VR content to this degree for years. Maybe only Valve will be able to dethrone Alyx.

That SW pinball game was severely Questified, did read many complaints about it and stayed away from it. Reminds me that I need to buy the old pinball FX2 before it gets the awful slim treatment, lol. Seems today we have to go back to go forth... 

But better back to Sniper Elite VR - did play much Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army with friends, and was very impressed with models, textures and performance. Therefore my high hopes for Sniper Elite VR, sigh.

Ok, graphics on it's own is not making a game great. But we have seen lot's of "remastered" games with better graphics. That means better graphics is a part to game success, so not a main part (people play less in old games, but start to play more after remastered launch).

And if we are talking on other apps (architecture or travel vr apps), those could benefit a lot from graphics or 360 photos. But there are not game play in them.

I think great graphics is great part of a game, but not main.

@Nekto2 wrote:

Ok, graphics on it's own is not making a game great. But we have seen lot's of "remastered" games with better graphics. That means better graphics is a part to game success

I disagree with that conclusion, as there is no conclusive evidence illustrating the a game being "remastered" is what makes it successful. History shows the opposite, where games that were already successful end up being "remastered" over time in order to allow the new generation of gamers to enjoy them. I cannot think of one single game that was originally "unsuccessful" and then was later "remastered" after which it only then became successful.

Success comes first, then getting remastered comes later. Ergo, graphics were not what made the game successful.

If you have an example that illustrates otherwise, then do share it.

Ok, I'll agree that "successful" was a wrong description. More like you have said "..to allow the new generation of gamers to enjoy them..".

So graphics plays it's role, but it is not main part for game.

One of examples I could think of is "onward". Low graphics lead to gameplay change (you can't hide in bushes and grass any more). But the game is still popular.

Only type of "games" depending on graphics are ... do not know how to call them.... "travel experience to unknown worlds". They are more like work of art then game. And you need not intensive game play in there. They are "relaxing" experiences with a little of gameplay.

There some 2D style games. And ... may be ... Farlands in VR?