cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SteamSpy: Best-selling PCVR games launched in 2021 are MaskMaker and EverSlaught

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I spent some time checking latest SteamSpy numbers, and here's some overview of popular PCVR games launched this year:

Games and apps selling from 100K to 200K copies

EverSlaught

MaskMaker

Games and apps selling from 50K to 100K copies

Surv1v3

Dark Threads

After the Fall (but just released in December 2021)

Demeo

Walk About Minigolf

Legendary Tales

Games and apps selling from 20K to 50K copies

Myst (VR)

Eye of the Temple

Baalbek Reborn: Temples

Ragnarock

Cooking Simulator VR

I Expect You To Die 2

Games and apps selling less than 20K copies

Ancient Dungeon

BRINK Traveller

Detective NFT

The Persistence Enhanced

Furious Seas

A Wake Inn

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: TempestFall (but just released in December 2021)

Blair Witch VR

DeepStates VR

Naau

Arden's Wake

Get Lost in Nature With Luke

Sniper Elite VR

- and the remaining:

Lone Echo 2 - unknown, it's only available in the Oculus Store. But it only has 336 ratings, I doubt it has sold much, sadly.

Song in the Smoke - unknown, has only been on Steam for a few days. Only has 361 ratings in the Quest Store and 27 ratings in the Rift Store. Only 10 ratings on Steam - I don't think the game is selling well, but it's also available for PSVR. Guess that game needs more time to sell. On Steam less than 20K copies have been sold.

In short - MaskMaker and EverSlaught seem to be the winners this year, both are really awesome games. Congrats! Since only MaskMaker is a full game (non-early-access) I guess MakeMaker is PCVR game of the year 2021...

Concerning free games and apps, Gorilla Tag may be the winner this year - according to SteamSpy from 500K to 1 mill own a copy - but that game is free and doesn't count comparing paid apps and games.

Btw, maybe After the Fall is selling the fastest, and the game has only been out a few weeks - time will tell.

SteamSpy isn't totally accurate, but it has been estimated that the margin of error is less than 10%: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Spy

Find more games here - VR only:

https://steamspy.com/tag/VR+Only

Some shots... I guess it's not too hard figuring out which game a shot is from 😉

downloa2343d.JPG

20211010214756_1.JPG

download (7).jpg

download (2).jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

5 REPLIES 5

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, my game of the year 2021 is - by far - Lone Echo 2, but this thread is about the best selling PCVR games launching in 2021, and I doubt that Lone Echo 2 has sold more than 100k copies. Right now, after more than a year, Medal of Honor Above & Beyond has just reached the 50K - 100K category on SteamSpy. That game is compatible with many hmds and has about 2,000 ratings combining Steam and the Rift Store. Lone Echo 2 has about 350 ratings in the Rift Store. 

The reason for MaskMaker and EverSlaught selling many copies also has to do with the price, apart from being awesome games. Both games are now selling for close to $10 - and their full prices are still half of Oculus' AAA games. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Nekto2
Superstar

> The reason for MaskMaker and EverSlaught selling many copies also has to do with the price, apart from being awesome games. Both games are now selling for close to $10 - and their full prices are still half of Oculus' AAA games. 

I think for MaskMaker it could be that this game has no killing. It's not so easy to find great VR game without any killing. Lone Echo 2 is great too!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw - if you should ever get stuck in MaskMaker, here's a full walkthrough:

I think it's in French, but you can easily see the problem solving procedures. Also the game being fully available in French language could explain the limited number of reviews on Steam, where most write in English, and the large number of sold copies according to SteamSpy. The devs are from France, the studio is placed in Paris. 

Also MaskMaker was made with some financial support of Creative Europe - MEDIA programme of the European Union and with the support of the Ile-de-France region. So maybe the devs are doing quite well financially, and MaskMaker may not exactly be the usual indie low-budget stuff 😉 MaskMaker was made by a team of 12 devs - this was not a small 1-2 devs project:

Unavngivet.jpg

Team_2020_Masked.jpg

Btw, remember that system requirements are really low for MaskMaker - you only need a GTX 970 to be able to enjoy MaskMaker. And for those with faster gpus, you can add (a lot of) super sampling. Find the game here for about $12 until January 5 (40% off):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1337530/Maskmaker/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I'm back into making masks - but kinda stressful as I'm also doing time in the modded Resident Evil 2 VR version, lol. I'm starting to understand the sheer size of MaskMaker. Compared to A Fisherman's Tale, MaskMaker is gigantic or close. Steam says I've spent 5.5 hours in the game, but I think it's 10 hours or more - I don't think Steam measures play time correctly. 

Took a few shots - but you need to be in this game, 2D images cannot capture all its glory:

20220101234723_1.JPG

The world in MaskMaker is very colorful - might work as some sort of antidepressant? 🤔 😄

20220102001221_1.JPG

In some MaskMaker worlds, the view distance is great - this image is not the best example, but there's great variation in the environments. I'm never bored in MaskMaker, even when getting stuck in a puzzle

20220102001131_1.JPG

I'm on the same bridge as in the image above, I'm just looking down here - this village in the tree tops extends all around me - there're many places to visit

I do think MaskMaker is one of the best VR games arriving in 2021, not particularly due to the graphics, but due to the engaging and dare I say wonderful story. It really feels like you're in some sort of fairytale - and I rarely feel that way. 

In the start, I considered MaskMaker another dead world - like Myst - but MaskMaker has life and npcs who speak to you and even dance - and their motion capture animations are great. There're some other nicely animated lifeforms too, but life is limited - still this game continues to grow on me - and continues to amaze. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, it seems the Steam Spy estimates are quite accurate - at least for games selling more than 30k copies - this article was an interesting read about Steam Spy accuracy:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/steam-spy-accuracy-developers

Quote: "On all our games Steam Spy shows accurate numbers with real number always within the stated margin of error. For example, at this point Knock-Knock sold 94,000 units on Steam, with Steam Spy showing 96,863 ± 10,577."

PlayTracker may be much less accurate - and got some heat from devs here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/b69hhd/i_made_a_steam_game_stats_website_with_graphs_and/

Then again, it's an old thread, algorithms may have changed... But PlayTracker and Steam Spy still provide very different numbers, so pick your poison carefully, lol.