cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SteamVR updated, direct mode for Oculus devices?

TomSD
Honored Guest
I logged into Steam today and saw an update to SteamVR:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/ ... 7650482167

"Added direct mode rendering support for Oculus devices (only applies to apps using the compositor)"

Does anyone know which games, if any, this is applicable to? I gave HL2 a quick try but it doesn't seem to have been updated.
i7-4770K, 2x GTX 780 SLI, Windows 7 64-bit, Oculus runtime 0.6.0.0
3 REPLIES 3

Lhun
Explorer
This will allow you to -launch steam VR- using the oculus SDK set to "direct to rift" mode.

The games themselves are separate applications which will require similar updates to do the same - which is what they're talking about. If a game has the SteamVR compositor from the SteamVR api, they will (in the future) work.

A dev would have to update their game to support it, and since this update came out yesterday, it could be a few days and will likely only be early access titles.

I'm hoping for "Hover: revolt of gamers" myself. Right now the fps in the game is too slow to get decent play.

if you were running the SteamVR beta, this is exactly how it already was, and you could use steam VR a bit like virtual desktop with support for direct to rift mode. If you make non-steam shortcuts to Unity games with a direct to rift mode, they already worked. 🙂

TomSD
Honored Guest
Thanks! That makes sense. Curious to see how this ends up fitting into the big picture for VR.
i7-4770K, 2x GTX 780 SLI, Windows 7 64-bit, Oculus runtime 0.6.0.0

Lhun
Explorer
"TomSD" wrote:
Thanks! That makes sense. Curious to see how this ends up fitting into the big picture for VR.

Well. "big picture" is exactly it. A game manager and launch to vr option or virtual "desktop" is a must have for VR. That much is obvious. SteamVR already fills much of the void that Virtual desktop fills at the moment - for games and general web browsing - which is exactly what the vive will need.

People want a way to select and launch games in VR, and also might want to browse the web and look up a guide or chat with friends or get notifications while they're playing or join servers, etc etc.

SteamVR is a integral part of the Vive and vr in general, and the Vive assets can be found in the installer now.

Not to mention the steam machines interface is big picture. SteamVR is basically a mod for big picture.

This is Valve's "console" in prototype form.