cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly, for no reason, Quest 2s won't show up as a drive on my PC.

falcon1az
Explorer

No issues connecting to my Quest 2s for as long as I've owned them. Now out of no where, the Quest 2s do not appear as a drive on my PC.

I can see they are connected via USB because I'm able to eject them. But the Quest 2s won't let me see them like an external drive. I've never had a problem with seeing my Quest 2s as an external drive until now, all of the sudden, they aren't working as an external drive.

What happened?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jerico,
IT WORKED!!!!!!

I was preparing for our phone call. Got things turned on; headset, pc, mobile app.

Connected to the headset, went into settings, system, and.... BINGO.... developer was available! I have no idea what happened yesterday when I was working on it and this morning. But developer is available as an option this morning!

Followed the rest of the checklist and the pc now connects to the headset as a drive!!!!!!
SWEET!!!!

The phone call just came and concluded. I spoke with Reginold. Told him that it appears my problem is SOLVED! Very happy for his phone call, but I am truly pleased you gave me the information and solved my problem.

Very grateful!!
Thank you,
Jeff Mueller

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 10:00 PM Meta Store Support <support@oculusvr.com> wrote:
Your request (6113835) has been updated.
If you have additional questions or comments, please reply to this email.

JericoS (Meta Quest Support)

Nov 22, 2022, 20:00 PST

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for reaching back to us. Hope this email finds you well.

This is Jerico and I will be assisting you on behalf of my colleague, to make sure you receive a reply on a timely manner.

To start, we fully understand where you are coming from Jeffrey, and we are sorry to hear about your experience. Let me try and provide you some steps that you can try to resolve the issue. Kindly check below:

Kindly create or join an Organization with your Meta account that is connected to your headset. As I will be asking for you to try and turn on developer mode for your headset. On the Meta Quest mobile app, go to Menu > Devices > Then, select your headset to turn on developer mode.
Once you have turned on developer mode:
Put on the Meta headset
On the headset, go to Settings > System > Developer, and then turn on the USB Connection Dialog option.
Connect the headset to the computer using a USB-C cable and put on the headset again.
Click Allow when prompted to allow access to data.
Connect your headset to the computer using a USB-C cable and wear the headset.
Accept Allow USB Debugging and Always allow from this computer when prompted on the headset.
For your reference in regards to developer mode, click here.

Please note that this ticket will automatically close within 9 days, if there is no reply. We'll be looking forward to your reply and if you have additional concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to add that in your next reply or reach out to us anytime. We are always happy to help!

Stay safe!
Jerico
Meta Store Support

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @falcon1az, we see that you're having trouble running the Quest 2 into your pc. Not to worry, we are here to help! (:

Before we dive into more advanced troubleshooting lets make sure that your pc meets the demands of the quest 2.
Check your operating system and make sure this isn't a memory problem.
If its not the memory or any update needed in your system such as; drivers, updates in software, app updates, or even updates in fire wall.

Then the next thing we can try is power cycling the device and making sure that air link isn't on when using the physical port.

If nothing we suggest helps, let us know and we will do everything to help you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

falcon1az
Explorer

Hello - thank you!

I think my PC is up to the task.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz Processor.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6.
32GB DDR4-3200 RAM.
1TB SSD.
10/100/1000 LAN + WiFi 5 WLAN.
Windows 10 Pro.

- I've tested both my USB cables in the Oculus software and both test good (the cable included with the headset and the Link Cable I purchased when this problem developed).

- When I connect my PC to the headset the message in the headset to allow access to files in the headset DOES NOT appear anymore. When I connect to the PC, in the headset settings, I get a link to 'Quest Link'.
- In my PC, under Device Manager I do NOT have a category titled 'Devices or Portable Devices'. In Device Manager I have "Oculus Device" and under it I have "Oculus XRSP Interface".

I think the problem has to do with drivers. Just a guess though. I know the PC is seeing the headset its just not appearing as drive on the PC. I use the headset with IRacing and it works as expected, good experience.

I've tried 'factory reset' that worked for a couple weeks. Now I'm back to the PC not recognizing the headset as a drive. Factory Reset is a headache for numerous reasons. Prefer to not go down that path again.

Nice to hear from you @falcon1az and thanks for the information. We know how hindering this can be to your gaming experience, so we can get this knocked out. Being that we have limited tools on forums we want to ask you to get connected with our Support by clicking here!

Also, to be better prepared for our agents please provide them with your logs so they can get a better look at this for you. We want to see you back in the VR world!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I have to confess I've been working with Meta Quest Support.

I am absolutely dumbfounded by the complexity of this problem. Honestly, several emails back and forth. I've sent logs to support. I've been asked to turn on Public Test Channel.

What you ask??

Yeah, me too!

Riddle me this - what does early access to software releases ahead of the general public have to do with the headset connecting to my pc as a drive???

I've seen so many posts about the trouble people have connecting their headsets as a drive to their PC. It literally has me scratching my head? For heaven's sake... the headset used to connect effortlessly to the pc as a drive. How tough a problem could this be?

Do I have to 'factory reset' the headset again?! Talk about painful.

I don't know...

I've thrown my hands up.

As experiences go.... this one I don't need.

Thanks for following up! We absolutely try our best to ensure our users are having great experiences with our devices and our support teams, so we hate hearing that your interaction was anything less than great. Can you message us in a PM with your ticket number so we can take a look? This might be more beneficial to solving the problem.
You can message us by selecting our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hello Jeffrey,

Lovely hearing back from you.

To start off, this is Aaliyah Jean and...

My case has been handed off from one agent to the next. No continuity. All the responses seem 'cut/paste'.

The problem is with the software or a driver in the headset. The headset connects to the pc but only as 'Quest Link'. There is not an option to connect as a drive and/or with 'Quest Link'.

Its very clear many Meta Quest 2 customers struggle with this problem.

I went online to search for a solution before contacting Meta Store Support. Simple online search yields countless posts regarding this exact problem. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if the responses are credible, solve the problem or are misleading and may harm the device.

For that reason, I wanted to go to a credible, knowledgeable resource for help, ...Meta Store Support.

My observation is the problem has been handed off from one individual to the other. It appears to me, as the customer, nothing more then 'copy/paste' responses have been provided. There has been no continuity with any technician or support person.

I appreciate the support responses. However, I feel this was all done very disingenuously.

When I receive a message and it starts with, "Lovely hearing back from you.", I feel insulted. Particularly so after several attempts to trouble shoot and resolve this problem in earnest.

Jerico,
IT WORKED!!!!!!

I was preparing for our phone call. Got things turned on; headset, pc, mobile app.

Connected to the headset, went into settings, system, and.... BINGO.... developer was available! I have no idea what happened yesterday when I was working on it and this morning. But developer is available as an option this morning!

Followed the rest of the checklist and the pc now connects to the headset as a drive!!!!!!
SWEET!!!!

The phone call just came and concluded. I spoke with Reginold. Told him that it appears my problem is SOLVED! Very happy for his phone call, but I am truly pleased you gave me the information and solved my problem.

Very grateful!!
Thank you,
Jeff Mueller

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 10:00 PM Meta Store Support <support@oculusvr.com> wrote:
Your request (6113835) has been updated.
If you have additional questions or comments, please reply to this email.

JericoS (Meta Quest Support)

Nov 22, 2022, 20:00 PST

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for reaching back to us. Hope this email finds you well.

This is Jerico and I will be assisting you on behalf of my colleague, to make sure you receive a reply on a timely manner.

To start, we fully understand where you are coming from Jeffrey, and we are sorry to hear about your experience. Let me try and provide you some steps that you can try to resolve the issue. Kindly check below:

Kindly create or join an Organization with your Meta account that is connected to your headset. As I will be asking for you to try and turn on developer mode for your headset. On the Meta Quest mobile app, go to Menu > Devices > Then, select your headset to turn on developer mode.
Once you have turned on developer mode:
Put on the Meta headset
On the headset, go to Settings > System > Developer, and then turn on the USB Connection Dialog option.
Connect the headset to the computer using a USB-C cable and put on the headset again.
Click Allow when prompted to allow access to data.
Connect your headset to the computer using a USB-C cable and wear the headset.
Accept Allow USB Debugging and Always allow from this computer when prompted on the headset.
For your reference in regards to developer mode, click here.

Please note that this ticket will automatically close within 9 days, if there is no reply. We'll be looking forward to your reply and if you have additional concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to add that in your next reply or reach out to us anytime. We are always happy to help!

Stay safe!
Jerico
Meta Store Support

Hi, I have the same issue. I have developer mode enabled but my q2 has still suddenly stopped showing up as a drive when I connect it and accept the permission to show files. I have checked it isnt running in either link cable or air link mode, so not sure why. I can connect it via sidequest, and get the files that way, but its much slower than just drag selecting and moving that I used to be able to do to get screenshots and recordings off the headset

The updating drivers method here worked to solve this https://smartglasseshub.com/quest-2-not-showing-up-on-pc/